Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bowl Games



Before we go any further I need to come clean about something. I said I'm not into sports, but I have one exception – I'm a bowler.



I would just say "I bowl," but I have my own ball and shoes. That sort of defines me as "a bowler." I go every week with a group of people from work – we've been going for a few years now, and my average keeps going up (135) while my handicap keeps coming down (22). The bowling alley has a full bar, some very strong wine, and a vending machine with Cheetos, among other health foods. It's a perfect Thursday evening!
Taken a couple of years ago when my hair was longer.



One by one most of us bowlers have taken advantage of a package deal to get our own kit – shoes, ball, and bag together for $115. It's worth it – the ball is perfect for me, and me alone. Only my own Cheetos-dusted fingers have reached into the recesses of the holes. The shoes have known only my arch, my toes, my sweat.

I'm too self-conscious to pose for pictures at the bowling alley, so I'm posing at home!



When I saw the choices available I decided to go for pink all around – hot pink ball and bag, and white shoes with pink trim. (I would have liked to get the traditional green and red bowling shoes, but they weren’t offered in the package - damn!) The pink trim on the shoes wasn't HOT like the ball and bag, so I decided to paint my shoes. I looked online for ideas, but in the end I took the easy route and did spatter paint using two shades of pink, plus turquoise and gold. 






The turquoise top and dusty pink jeans are from JCP. I bought the pink scarf at an airport. 

I made these earrings using a photo of my Barbie. I have a necklace using the same picture here.
 The shoes are Dexter, the bag is Ebonite, and the ball is T-Zone.




Of course, most of the bowlers are fans of The Big Lebowski, and when I bought my pink ball one of them called me Bunny. I'm not sure if he remembered that there's a Bunny Lebowski in the film. She's a real slut, so I wasn't quite sure how to take it. In the end I decided to appreciate it ; )

Any other bowlers out there? Big Lebowski fans? This is a safe zone – it's okay to admit you bowl.

 Bunny

10 comments:

Judith said...

Just love what you did to the shoes to put your own stamp on them - brilliant!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I am not a bowler, but now that I know there is a pretty pink bowling ball out there with matching shoes and bag for me...well, I may have re-think this whole sport. I do really, really enjoy going five pin bowling with my friends that have young children. Having the bumper pads up gives me incredible confidence, and I feel cool calling myself a Disney character on the scoreboards.

Cool earrings by the way Val!

Sue xo

Sheila said...

I'm a terrible bowler, but I enjoy it with wine and cheetos! And I adore "The Big Lebowski"! Every year or so they do a 'quote-along' version at a local theatre and serve White Russians (of course).

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

On the rare occasions that I bowl I have great fun but hate wearing someone else's shoes.
Love your pink ones.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Ooh I might have a White Russian this evening! Your description of how only your cheeto covered fingers have been in your ball made me laugh, and also remember why I took antibac hand gel last time we went bowling (there's a big outbreak of norovirus here, not suggesting you're skanky!)

Love your shoes and the hot pink ball, and really like your earrings too, I wonder if you can get that type of finding here.

Happy New Year!
x

New Year's Resolutions of the Stars!

Val Sparkle said...

Well, that sounds like a great idea!

Val Sparkle said...

It sounds like pink shoes and White Russians are pretty popular. So if I invent a Pink Russian (a little grenadine on top) I could make a fortune!

Lakota, the oval bezels I used in the earrings are actually from a bracelet I bought at the local craft store. You might look online for small bezels, especially Etsy.

Style Sud-Est said...

Hi Val!
i used to bowl a very long time ago and we had lots of fun, we almost went before Christmas but the bowiing hall was closed but we promised to go back and have a family bowling night,it will be fun!
I love tha pink bowling ball and i love that you styled your bowling shoes!

Megan Mae said...

I love bowling! I don't play so much anymore because my bowling-arm is my bum arm, but it's always so much fun. I love that you have your own kit and DIY'd your shoes! I thought they were made like that - they're so perfect!

Joyatri said...

I've only bowled twice in my life and that was 30 years ago, but wouldn't mind trying again. I like what you did with the shoes. As you may know from my blog, I paint shoes every chance I get.