Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hat Trick



When I was taking pictures for my last post, I suddenly thought that I should wear my flat cap with flowers. I thought it would work with the monochrome stripes and red flower pin that I was wearing. So I said to The Photographer, wait, I'll be right back. The Photographer rolled his eyes. But he waited. And here's the cap.



It does something weird to my face when I wear this cap. Anyway, this is about the cap, not my face.

Here's a picture of the cap soon after I bought it in Seaside, Oregon.



It's the only Before picture I have. The cap fit well, but it sort of looked like a train engineer's cap because it stood up too much. I avoided wearing it.

Until - I sewed it down at the back and added a button to disguise the tuck.  

Then added crocheted flowers and more buttons at the front.
I've seen a lot of similar hats on the web that people have dressed up. It's so easy (I bought the flowers pre-made), and it means I actually wear the cap now.


Ta Dah! I'm linking up with Ta Dah! Tuesday at Faith Hope and Charity Shopping.

Val

14 comments:

Sheila said...

Such a cute cap! I love it on you, especially with the striped top and the little pop of colour from your puffy pin.

Kezzie said...

Oooh, hat alert! I love it and am now suddenly thinking of the three sad baker boy hats I haven't worn for ages- aha, flower accessorising, here I come!

Melanie said...

Excellent upcycle. I like how you sewed the back down and used the button as a coverup. You look great in this. I hope you still feel like that first photo when you wear it!

Joyatri said...

The shape of this cap really suits you and the mix of textures and colors with the flower pins is lovely.

Hazel said...

This is really lovely, learning to crochet is on my to-do list for 2013. I linked up with Ta Dah! Tuesday for the first time today.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Very clever fix! I love the pic on the merry go round. We stayed at Seaside once and had a lot of fun, but I will admit our hearts belong to Cannon Beach. Can not get enough of that place.

Lisa said...

This is a great idea and so cute.

Judith said...

Very creative idea with the button - makes for a great hat!

pastcaring said...

The cap looks great with the added button and flowers! I am going to try and alter a few things which are languishing unworn in my wardrobe.
Always love a carousel!
Thank you for dropping by my blog and commenting, I appreciate it.
Love Curtise xxxx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

It goes brilliantly, and certainly does not make your face look weird. I love the way you've tweaked it. (The cap that is, not your face!)
x

*Dark Angel* said...

One awesome blog! The hat does make your face a little bit different..in a good way! I like the idea of adding the flowers which surely make it look a lot better!

fourseasonsonewardrobe said...

I love how you " feminized" the cap!

Megan Mae said...

Awesome hat! One of the first things I did with buttonflowers was make them for my mom's hats. I love how you tacked the hat to make it work - you look good in hats!

sabine said...

You give the cap a smarter look, that's what upcycling should do. Well done and you look amazing. Sometimes smart clothes or hats make us feel smarter too.