Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Boots and Roses

This is a just quick post to show some thrift finds and try-outs. The pictures were taken in the mirror with a glaring flash. I have no make-up on and tousled hair. I admit it was slapdash, and I promise to do better in the future.

But look - I used Pic Monkey! And look, I'm pattern mixing! And look, I just got these uber-cool short boots and this pretty dress! I feel like I discovered a cure for acne!

Sunday morning - messing about with new dress and boots and pattern mixing. Cardi and red tights from Target.

I went to Goodwill on Saturday armed with patience and a tape measure. And I was rewarded with the boots (W2O - never heard of them), two dresses (Cherokee [above] and Worthington, both discounted because it was green tag day), a pair of Levi's, and a half-slip for a total of $16.18. I didn't try on the dresses before I bought them, but both.fit.perfectly. What I did was measure some skirts at home to get my hip width, then brought a sewing tape measure to the store with me. Plus, I'm getting pretty good at realistically visualizing sizes. This rosey dress fits like a dream! You'll be seeing it again when the weather gets better.

Two new-to-me dresses


I'm going to link up to the Weekly Thrift at Young Heart. Can't wait to see what everyone else has to show off!

Val

18 comments:

Connie said...

Val! You look adorable! What great finds!
Connie*

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

i love your look, the red tights and boots are rocking the flowered print xxx

Vix said...

You look great! Love the pattern mixing and the bright tights. You've got fantastic legs, more short dresses please! xxx

Anne said...

Love your dresses!the boots look great too:)

Déjà Pseu said...

I love this, especially the rose print, the red tights and the boots. You look great!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Awesome pattern mixing. You are much better at this than you give yourself credit. Cute, cute, cute!

pastcaring said...

I agree with Vix - you've got such great legs, Val, a shorter length really suits you. Lovely dresses, especially the rose print, and I love those boots. I always carry a tape measure with me, and have got pretty good at looking at something and estimating whether it will fit or not. xxxx

Marium said...

Adorable dress, and I want to echo those above and say it looks perfect with the tights and boots. So glad you visited Decorate Vintage - I'm now following via GFC!

JoKnows said...

The red floral dress is so pretty! Love it. Now following via GFC and can't wait to see all your finds. Jo

Joni said...

Your artist self is shining through on this one! I love the sweater and the boots topping it all off. Very cute Val!

sabine said...

Hello Val,
Seems we have the same hobby ;-)
Your findings are marvellous, you had a run of luck. I love your complete outfit, the pattern mix, the red tights and of course the fabulous boots.
Look forward to see you in the blue dress and I'm curious what you will add to it. You are definitely prepared for spring.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

You look so cute-- love the floral (roses?) dress and the blue one, too!! Those boots look too cute!! My feet are too big (9) so I never have good luck thrifting shoes-- I'm always so jealous of all the 7 and 8's out there. The tape measure is the way to go! I wish all women's clothes were done in measurements. You just measure an item that fits you comfortably straight across (laid flat) and double where necessary and then you can use that to compare to other clothes. Like you did!! I constantly have people message me about label size from my online store, and while I don't mind telling them if it has one, it's the measurements that are what really ensures an accurate fit! People think it's complicated but it actually simplifies shopping-- particularly online. You just made me so happy with the whole tape measure to the store thing...

MyStyle said...

Hi there! Great finds, they are lovely dresses and you look fabulous xx

Wendy said...

Val, that rose print dress is super pretty!!! I love entire the outfit (and the fact that you only paid $16 and change for so many great pieces)!

I'm horrible about buying for my size... I always tell myself that at 2-5 bucks for a beautiful skirt/dress/etc, I'll go on a diet. Which still hasn't happened... However, when I finally do reach a size 8 (again) I'm going to have a seriously kick ass wardrobe.

Thank you so much for linking up!

Sacramento Amate said...

That dress is fabulous, Val.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Megan Mae said...

Awesome pattern mixing! I can usually eyeball my own sizing pretty well, though I try to try on if I have the time. Love the boots! I never have luck thrifting shoes.

Kezzie said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice finds!! Especially the white and red!!!!x

joyatri said...

Yay for Pic Monkey! I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of those dresses. They look so pretty and comfy.
Duh, why didn't I think of taking a tape measure to Goodwill. I always just eyeball fit. I'm right about 90% of the time, but it would be helpful not to end up with any items that don't fit. Thanks for the tip.