Saturday, February 16, 2013

Kopy Kat


I like those posts where somebody copies an outfit they saw on another blog. I finally saw one that I wanted to copy, on Kezzie's blog (link here).
 
IMG_6528
Kezzie and my inspiration


Yes, Kezzie again – the lovely soul who nominated me for the Liebster Award (see my post here). In Kezzie’s outfit, I really liked the combination of dark florals with the tweed jacket and soft grey sweater/jumper. It's so English! And there she is in Trafalgar Square, too!

I didn't think I'd be able to copy her outfit until I remembered I had a tweed jacket tucked away in a garment bag. I rarely wear it, but this prompted me to get it out.

Tweed jacket, part of a skirt suit, from Marks & Spencer. How English!
I didn’t have an attractive young man to take my photos, like Kezzie did, and I'm not in Trafalgar Square. But I did pull out my brolly for a couple of shots, and there is a little sculpture in my garden.


The skirt used to be a dress with an empire waistline. I took the top off years ago. I recently added some colour to the skirt with Sharpie pens and alcohol (Google Sharpie tie dye and you'll see how I did it). I made my blobs pretty watery to suit the existing pattern.

Thrifted belt, (saggy) tights from Target, shoes from TJ Maxx, pearl brooch from 1980s
The only grey top I have is my head, so I wore an old Bennetton shirt (purchased in Britain) in pale blue teal. This also doesn't get much use because it wrinkles if you look at it funny. But it is nicely made with cute little square buttons.

The scarf is made with fabric from a blouse (Monsoon, purchased in Britain) and pinned with my opal stick pin. As a blouse it was always tight, but I just loved the print so I bought it anyway.


Although I could probably count on one hand the times I wore it as a blouse, I didn't want to let anyone else have it either! And it took a long time for me to get the courage to cut it up because I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I finally decided to make a scarf. 

What inspired me about Kezzie's outfit was the combination of tweed and florals, so I tried the tweed jacket with a different floral-like print.

 
Black tiered skirt (Walmart) and a paisley-floral blouse (JCP) and the same thrifted belt. I put the stick pin on my lapel here.

Teal tights - Target

I tried some different tights here - too bright. And I took the jacket off - hot flash.

I'm not kidding.



And here are the earrings, which I bought at the art museum gift shop here – I love museum gift shops, don’t you? There’s a little picture of a geisha putting on make-up (or putting her contacts in?).

Ta dah! So there's my copy of Kezzie's outfit. Other than some changes with shoes and tights, I can see myself wearing both these outfits. Especially next time I'm in London!

I saw Kezzie's outfit on Visible Monday, so it's only fitting that I should take my copy back there. And then, of course, I'll be off to Ta Dah! Tuesday.

Val

34 comments:

Joni said...

Those look just like the earrings you make in your Etsy shop. Very cute. I think you should wear that jacket more, looks like it fits you perfect!

sabine said...

Hi Val,
You did a good job! I love your copy of Kezzie's outfit and I love the idea of wearing a sportive jacket to floral patterns. To find a copy in the own wardrobe is always like playing a game. I love playing with clothes and accessories! A result of that is that I have no more "respect" for the clothes. I like them, but I feel also free to match them. A good idea to make a scarf of a not fitting blouse, the patterns is wonderful and goes so well together with your floral skirt.
Have a good time!

Kezzie said...

Hey! You look brilliant. A great combination of items and colours. Very flattered to have inspired an outfit! I love the fact you altered the skirt! I almost wore the blazer and top today for another birthday but with different florals!x

susanjmb said...

I agree...tweed with floral or any more "feminine" (?) fabric or style is always much more fun. I DARE you to try that paisley blouse with the floral skirt and all the rest of the accessories including the teal tights. If YOU do, I will! :-)

Ofelia said...

Lovely outfits! I'm in love with your umbrella since I was little I have a thing for umbrellas especially the printed ones!

Vix said...

You did a great job! The tweed with the florals is a lovely combination adn what a great idea to add extra colour with a Sharpie...genius! Love the earrings. x

kaffesoester said...

Florals and tweed is such a lovely combination - I'd love to try it too! You both look wonderful, and I think you've done a marvelous job on the former dress, now skirt! I do love the turquoise tights too.

Paula Ruta said...

Love those earrings! And yes, I do love museum shops~

I think you did a great job with your inspiration. I love finding bloggers who inspire--or art, or whatever! xoxo

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

What a wonderful post. I laughed out loud when you revealed your statue, and your gray top.

I have been playing with sharpie pens too look forward to seeing your technique with the alcohol. Who knows, maybe you just drank alcohol while you marked your skirt with sharpie pens. :)

Thanks Val, you look brilliant today!

Sue xo

pastcaring said...

What a lovely look, fellow bloggers are so often inspiring, aren't they? Both you and Kezzie look great in your tweed and floral combinations.
Both the floral prints, the skirt and the blouse, are beautiful, and I love the earrings. xxxx

Wendy said...

I think you both look lovely, both versions of the outfit have a bit of an Annie Hall feel. I'm digging it!!!

Patti said...

Loving the florals and tweeds, and your version of the Square is charming, Val! Like Sue, I am curious about the role of alcohol in skirt-decorating : > And THANK YOU for writing about your warm-flash while posing for pics. I have them all-the-time when doing pictures and have to tear off my outer layers. And thanks too for linking up!

Crazy Ravens Studio said...

I think I like your second look even more than the first. I may own a tier skirt like that....must dig in closet. The earrings are very cool.

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

Hi Val! Thanks so much for the tip about Young Heart's weekly Thrift Roundup. I will be there with bells on. Bells which I will no doubt have thrifted!

I was intrigued by the fact that you have so many English items in your closet. My mom was from England so I am half English and very proud of that fact. Are you English?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I've got to try that Sharpie and alcohol thing! Super cute umbrella by the way.

Sheila said...

Museum gift shops are the best! Some of my best jewelry is from museums.

I love the teal tights and the belted look.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Sharpie alcohol tie dye... I would def have to Google it! I love dark florals!! I like the copy idea-- you did a great job of doing your own version!
Becky :)

~julee~ said...

Great outfits on both of you!

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

I love the inspiration factor! I find myself frequently channeling different bloggers when I get dressed. So much fun. I love the sharpie idea. I've thought of doodling with a sharpie on clothes before, but you took it a step further with the color treatment!! I especially love the second outfit, being the huge fan of black that I am. XXOO

Vix said...

Thanks for the comment, Val! I adore your rotary phone. I'm inspired to do something similar! xxx

Ann, Heather and Sheila said...

One of the great things about getting older (I'm talking into your 60s here) is that the hot flashes go away finally! Love your mix of florals and tweed. I'd never heard of the sharpie thing so thanks for the heads up on that. What a cool idea!
Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

fun, so much fun!! I had to go back and zoom in to see if I could check out your sharpie handiwork. What a cool thing to do!

xo,
Alyssa

Style Sud-Est said...

Val i love your mix of tweed and flowers so cute
I adore the feminine, masculine look on you!

Those earriings are fabulous - i do love museum gifts as well - Le Musée des Beaux Arts in Montreal has great boutique

Ariane xxxx

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

I love tweed and floral and yours is fabulous. I am going to Google the Sharpie tie dye. It sounds really interesting.

Misfits Vintage said...

Those earrings are gorgeous and I like the bright tights outfit best!

Sarah xxx

Debbie Baker Burns said...

I love how you rework things and I do think that first outfit does look quite British! Debbie

Laurie said...

What a great idea for a scarf.

The Style Crone said...

I think the mix of tweed and florals is brilliant; both you and Kezzie put this combination together beautifully. Kopy Kat is the ultimate compliment! I've learned so much from blogging and new ideas are always planted in my brain by those that have been and are influences on my own process.

Megan Mae said...

Both are great looks! I love the colors of the second one. Bright tights for the win!

How cute is your lawn gargoyle!!

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Like all your inspired looks, Val! The aqua tights are such a Val Sparkle perfect touch!

lawyerdoll said...

Museum gift shops are such a great source, I have so many treasures I've picked up in them! I'm definitely envious of the earrings... *swoon*

I like the crisp tweed, that amazing belt, and the sophisticated paisley together, but I'm not liking the black "hippie skirt with them... the nmore tailored shirt seems a better "fit"

Angela said...

Kezzie does great outfits - when will we see you in a Kezzie Hat??

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh I really liked Kezzie's outfit too - nice to see a tribute. You just need a few more pigeons for Leicester Square! I am a HUGE fan of museum giftshops, one of my favourite things :-). Very cute earrings too.
x

WendyB said...

I love the earrings, but I'm equally entertained by your shirt description: "This also doesn't get much use because it wrinkles if you look at it funny. " Stuff like that should be put on the care tags inside garments.