Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Minimalism




Minimal is a town I drove through a long time ago, without stopping. 


This started out as a plain wood case from the local craft store, similar to this one.


I bought two square cases at first. The other one I did in a light color with a Hawaiian scheme. I gave that to my dear friend Zoƫ for her 50th birthday - she had sent me the postcard that I used on the front.


a little blurry on this one, but you can see the neat brackets on the corners


It has small boxes inside, which attach to the bottom of the box with velcro tabs.

I did the brown one differently at first, but I didn't like it, so I tore all the old paper off. Then I had to cover up the mess. But covering up isn't enough – you have to make it work. And pretty soon I reached the point where the only way to make it work is to go over the top. 

So that's pretty much what I did.




I know, it's gaudy. But wait till you see the inside!


Inside, I added a mirror and made a paper pocket below it.



The envelopes are made from William Morris wallpaper samples and have invisible velcro tabs to close them.

The bottom has a magnetic sheet – it's pretty weak with the paper on it, but it will almost hold my decorated tins.

This is standing on its side so you can see the magnet in action!


I covered some cardboard pieces with black cloth, and those can be propped up to display necklaces. Black elastic bands hold them in place.


The back is the only part that isn't overdone.


For the next one, here are the papers I bought. 


I'm going to decorate little, round tins to go inside, so I'll probably lay the magnetic sheet on the bottom to hold them. I might paint it, if it'll stick.


I get a strange satisfaction gluing paper down, and peeling the glue off my fingers later. I can't help myself, but I'm just going to have to go for it and go over the top again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's twee, it's kitsch, and it really belongs on Ta Dah! Tuesday at Faith Hope and Charity Shopping!

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Hee, I'm not a resident of Minimalism either!

I love how you decorated both boxes! So creative! The envelopes remind me of Nick Bantock's "Griffin & Sabine" series of books, where you open the envelopes to read their correspondence.

Emma Kate at Painted Style said...

Wow! That's so beautiful! I'm definately a maximalist too! x

sabine said...

That's exactly the kind of minimalism I love so much. Pattern mix and sparkling and a lot of nice things which I can check out. What a cute idea, Val!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Oh Val, your boxes are ever so beautiful. Maybe it's the memory of the peppermint glue pots from childhood, but I too love playing with bits of paper and glue. Are you using mod podge or regular glue? And what are invisible velcro tabs? I know, too many questions, but you know me...I like to create too.

Sue xo

Joni said...

Oh wow Val! I love these! Reminds me of your little tins in your Etsy shop on a much bigger scale. These must give you so much joy while creating them. So inspiring too!

Vix said...

I got thrown out of Minimal years ago, it's a joyless town!
I absolutely love what you've done to these! So beautiful and you must have had such fun creating the designs! x

pastcaring said...

Minimal is a dull sort of place, let's never go there!
Your cases are little works of art, Val, I love the profusion of colour and pattern and detail. Really beautiful! xxx

Megan Mae said...

What beautiful cases!!! I love minimalism... in a maximum way. I always wind up overdoing it, though I do love simplicity and functionality. Art and function make these cases super cool.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Not at all - they're beautiful! I love them both, and especially like the paper envelopes. So clever and a perfect ta-dah!

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

What a cute cases! You must be a scrapbooker too if you like paper that much.

I say if you're going to do something, go for it. And you certainly did : )

bisous
Suzanne
http://bisous.typepad.com/bisous/

Young at Heart said...

utterly amazing!!

Misfits Vintage said...

Gaudy??? Are you kidding me? It is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! The Hawaiian one is lovely too - but that second one absolutely blows my mind. You are SO clever!!!

Sarah xxx

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

So beautiful!

joyatri said...

Purple, paisley, William Morris -- the design of that second box is perfection! You are so talented :)

Melanie said...

I missed this post the first time around. Absolutely cool! Can you fit a laptop inside one? This is much more awesome than neoprene or canvas. Your art on here is beautiful.