Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pictures on the Wall



I've been wanting to share this picture that I bought for myself for Christmas (to save Mr. Sparkle the trouble). Once I saw it, I couldn't look away – I love old buildings anyway, and the little bit of wallpaper just drew me in. And it was reasonably priced, including the frame.
 

"80 Years of In and Out"


The photographer is Jason Rydquist. If you like pictures of dereliction and abandonment – and who doesn't! – you should check out his website.
  
The tag that came with this picture says, "This dining room door was the threshold between a full square mile of surrounding fields outside and the central hub of the farmhouse, where meals awaited. The Bitner Homestead in Hersey, Michigan.”


So now it hangs in my kitchen, the threshold between the freezer and the microwave.

Here are some other original pieces we've acquired through the years.




Nicole Bernier was selling some small drawings on the street in Victoria, BC (Sheila, do you know her?). I love the freedom of the line here and all the negative space.



These pots were painted by an old boyfriend. Again, negative space. For some reason, my husband does not like this painting, so I keep it at work.


Huh, more negative space. This is a pastel drawing by a friend of a friend, Janet Robertson. I don't know what ever happened to her, but she had a studio in Seattle when I bought this. I imagined it was me in the drawing, sitting by the Puget Sound, drinking a Long Island Iced Tea.

This is one of my mother's paintings, a watercolor of the area where she grew up in western Nebraska. The little brown blobs on the left are cows.


I did this little watercolor in high school. It's Dash Point State Park near Tacoma, Washington. My mom kept it and framed it. I'm glad she did, because it reminds me of a certain time and place when I was starting to drive and thought I was so mature. It seems like ages ago. What am I saying, it WAS ages ago!



And I keep this little picture in my office for good feng shui - my back is partially to the door, so this helps ward off evil going on behind my back. This is a flyer from the Seattle Art Museum with a painting by Orazio Gentileschi, and I think it depicts his daughter, the painter Artemisia Gentileschi. I love Italian Baroque paintings. I studied in Rome for three months - tre mese di paradiso!

So that's a little tour of the Sparkle Museum of Art. Please return your headsets on the way out.

What's your favorite type of art?

Val

20 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I love your painting! You've seen my clothes, my living room, some of my artwork, and so I hope it's obvious that I really mean this sincerely. I love the colours, the playfulness, and the subject matter. Great work!

Sue xo

Joni said...

I love seeing the little watercolor you did. Do you get a chance to paint anymore? My mother is also a watercolorist. I actually found a painting she did the year I was born, 1960. I found it in an antique store in Kent, Wa. and paid only 15.00 to bring it home with me. It's still in the original frame too. It's just precious to me.
My favorite form of art use to be mainly abstract. I do still love it but I'm in awe of so much of it now, it's so hard to choose one fav. I just know when I have an emotional response to it.
This is a fantastically Sparkly art show. Thank you!! And now, where did I park my car?

Megan Mae said...

Gorgeous pieces. I love the range of them, the stories, but also the commonalities that started showing up between them.

I'm a newbie to actually purchasing art. I was often tagged "the Artist" by friends and family, so I was always producing art. I still keep my two portfolios of accumulated work (mostly from college) in hopes I'll go through it one of these days and frame some.

I'm happy to have acquired two pieces this year and have them hung up. They both have similar themes: circles, texture, colors I adore. But they're by two totally different artists with very different approaches. I also have a thing for BIG art... so it's been a little funny getting them on the walls.

I'm quite fond of the bits and bobs I've been gifted by friends. Little crafty pieces, handmade cards, photo sets, etc. I keep all those things, but don't have a way to display them right now.

Liz said...

Love the first picture - can understand why you had to have it. Its great that all your pictures have a story behind them.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I really enjoyed this post, I like seeing people's art collections, they're so personal. At the risk of sounding like a suck up - my favourite is the one you did at school! The colours are gorgeous.

It's tricky when you and the husband don't agree isn't it? Our most recent piece of art was chosen by my husband and it's not really quite my thing, but I make most decisions like that so I figured it was his turn. And he bought it with money left by his great-aunt, so it means something. It's by Storm Thorgerson, based on the cover art for that Pink Floyd album with the prism (which he designed). I don't out and out hate it though. But generally I like lots of different things - I have a watercolour print of a beach near where I grew up, a papercut (is that what it's called? I mean the paper cut with a scalpel, not my finger!), some photographs, a random watercolour of a street scene in France, some modern cartoon-y art, some retro looking screen prints. I really want more now, after spending time down in Brighton looking in all the galleries.
x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

PS. Mothers Day here is March 10th so get your card in the post!

Vix said...

What a fab tour, thanks for that! I love pictures of dereliction and abandonment, it sums up my home town perfectly! x

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Love this post. I just enjoy art so much and I am always curious as to what other people like the best. This may be odd, but your little watercolor from when you were younger is my fav. I also like the framed pamphlet. Too funny that your hubby is not into the piece by your ex... lolzzz
Becky :)

susanjmb said...

I loved YOUR painting the best... and that was even BEFORE I realized it was your work! I hope you will take time to make your own art! <3

Connie said...

Oh please start painting again, if you haven't already. You have such a great eye.;-)

pastcaring said...

I enjoyed seeing the art you have collected over the years, Val. I like the first piece very much, but I think your mother's and your paintings are my favourites. It's often the personal connection that makes something special.
I feel very ignorant about art, and often intimidated by it because of my ignorance. But really, you just have to look and feel, and that's good enough, you don't have to KNOW anything. Our pictures are a mishmash of all sorts - holiday souvenirs, photos, maps, prints, things people have given me which I have had framed. I also have a drawing done by an ex-boyfriend but my Other Half doesn't seem to mind it being in the house! I also bought some frames to put album covers in. We don't have a turntable any more, and it's a good way to display some of our old vinyl LP covers, I rotate them from time to time (Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac and Talking Heads at the moment!)
See? Random mish mash! xxxx

Kezzie said...

Ooooooooooooh, I totally love nosing over the artwork in people's houses!! I don't have much that is original but some stuff! What a good idea for a post!!!! I really like the pots picture- what a pity Mr Sparkle doesn't!x

~julee~ said...

I love that first picture. I *do* love dereliction and abandonment. Which probably explains why I bought an old 1900 money pit home...

Ofelia said...

Magnificent collection! So diverse and from so many different styles and artist!

Sacramento Amate said...

Thank you for the tour. Lovely to see your house and your art.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

JoKnows said...

You have a wonderful collection! My husband and I love original pieces too, whether they are by the kids, by an art student or by a professional. They remind us of people and of places we have been. So much better than buying prints. (Although I have a few of those too.) I just love art.

sabine said...

It's nice to have a look in the Sparkle gallery. I especially love the first one, the photo.
In my office I also sit with the back to the door and I hope the silver ball in front of me takes the evil away.

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I love simple pen strokes and dreamy washed out seascapes.

Style Sud-Est said...

Love your art Va- We have lots of art here as well
I think i shared some last year
Nice watercolors, mother daughter very cool
You are talented, are you still some?
I did some , i should go back to it one day

Paula Ruta said...

I loved your water color.
I am an art major--so my house is filled with art. I love asian style/asymetrical water colors and so much more! too many to name.
Me? I am more of an illustrator than a painter.