Saturday, February 2, 2013

Oregonia

Just had a one-night stand out of town. Don't get too excited - I was with my husband. (Since his role as The Photographer is semi-retired - I know how to push buttons, too - I'll just call him Mr. Sparkle. There's a delightful irony in that.)

We went to Bend, which is a town on the other side of the Cascade mountains. He had a gig playing for a lovely young singer at a wine shop.
Amanda Sarles and Mr. Sparkle

We had to get there early for Mr. Sparkle to set up, so I had time to go look around Bend. It's a nice town with some really good shops, and they were open late because they were having their First Friday Art Walk. I saw some oh-my-god jackets, shoes, dresses, jewelry, and got some great ideas if I want to subject myself to sewing again. The only thing I bought was this scarf. When I held it against my black coat I looked a little like an Italian widow, but I bought it anyway.
We actually spent the night in Sisters, a small town about 20 miles from Bend. From most of the town you have a view of the Three Sisters peaks.
The town plays up the western theme, but it's not too tacky. They have restrictions on how the buildings can look, so there's a minimum of plastic signage, even on gas stations. There are a lot of music and craft festivals throughout the year, the apex of which is the quilt festival.
And the best place is Sisters Coffee Company. Look at the pine paneling and the river rock fireplace!

Cowgirl up, cupcake!

Val

PS - I should have added this sooner, but I saw some amazing upcycled jackets from Bella Sisters, link here. I was sorely tempted to buy one of their jackets in Bend, but I didn't. Now that I've looked at their website I may not be able to resist!

13 comments:

sabine said...

Hello Val,
what a wonderful scarf. It may bring Italian chic to spring and summer dresses.
I see you had a very nice trip. The landscape is gorgeous and the little Western town so picturesque. I always love to see how people in other countries are spending their time.

Sacramento Amate said...

You make me feel as if I was there , in the gig, watching the mountains, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
What a magic thing is to be able to share our different worlds.
Have a grand weekend Val.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Déjà Pseu said...

Love that photo of the mountains, stunning scenery! If I lived nearby, that coffeehouse would probably be my second home.

susanjmb said...

The scarf it beautiful...I've ALWAYS love Italians (especially the cute boys in high school). That coffee shop is one I will HAVE to get to, next time I'm in Oregon, which will actually be my first time in Oregon. The coffee bean bags on the walls simmer down the western theme very nicely. And way to go Mr. Sparkle!

Joni said...

Sounds like you had a good day roaming the town. I love days like that and even more so if I get to do it at my own pace.
What a cozy coffee shop. There's one that looks much like it up in Ferndale near the Canadian border. Has an upper level like that too.

Ofelia said...

What a lovely place! So cozy and vast at the same time. The scarf is beautiful.

Misfits Vintage said...

Holy awesomeness - this town is like something from a movie - I LOVE it! Can't wait to see you model the widow scarf for us!

Sarah xxx

The Style Crone said...

Ohhhhh, the scarf is gorgeous. And thanks for linking to Bella Sisters for some jacket eye candy. Gorgeous photos and sounds like you had a wonderful one-night stand!

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Isn't it great to get out of your regular shopping environment, and see what else the world has to offer?! LOVE the scarf, yes, I would have bought it too!

Cheers from England,
Rosemary from www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

Olga Rani said...

What a lovely place! And that cafe looks so cozy

Style Sud-Est said...

Neat place Val!
Perfect for a one night stand
The scarf id gorgeous
it's fun to discover new shops can't wait for SF shopping!

Sacramento Amate said...

I would love to see your little faca in my google friend connect. I like to look at my friend faces.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Liz said...

Looks fabulous!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger