Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stripes II: Return of the Orange Tights with a Vengeance



Hello, everyone, and thanks for all the great comments last week! I hadn't planned to post three days in a row, but since I had a pretty good haul from Goodwill, and then Wendy Brandes got inside my head (post here) I just had to seize the moment. Speaking of Wendy B., did you see her invitation to send her pictures of your puffy shirt? (And the giant shout-out to yours truly? I'm blushing.) If you have a puffy shirt, send her a picture and she'll do a big ol' puffy shirt post of the pictures she gets. And if you didn't see that episode of Seinfeld, you can watch this.


This week I'm all about stripes, again (previous post on stripes here).

I'm channeling my inner beatnik and having an existential crisis.

These pictures were actually taken a couple of weeks ago. A few people have had the discussion about taking pictures ahead of time versus true Outfit of the Day pictures. I do both, mostly because I don't have as much time during the week - work just gets in the way. Although I sometimes take pictures when I go home for lunch. The pictures of my puffly shirt (ruffle + puffy = puffly) were taken the same day I posted because I had to respond to Wendy B. right away. I did NOT want her to outdo me in Seinfeld references. Now we're Even Steven. (I might be a little bit ahead.)

Photos by me - not as good as when Mr. Sparkle takes them
In this outfit I'm posing leisurely because it was the weekend. It's almost exactly what I wore the previous week, with just a change of jewelry because I thought it was time I start shilling for my shop again. The necklace I'm modeling is available from my Etsy shop here.

The pendant has marbled paper (made by me) under resin

The shirt and tights are from Target, the skirt is from Old Navy, and the shoes are Dockers, thrifted. The skirt is a large size, but it was all they had. I've had to do some tweaking with the waist and the hem, but it fits now and I love it!

Photos by me - not as good as by Mr. Sparkle

Black shoes or boots would be good, too, but this time I thought it would be cool to not cut my feet off visually. I think the tan shoes work well, repeating the tan in the skirt.


The week I wore this, I wore stripes almost every day! I didn't plan it, and by the fourth day I thought I'd better make a conscious effort to wear something else. However, on one of my stripe days I wore my new obi from Megan Mae.

Shirt - Target; trousers - Lee from JCP; shoes - thrifted

This picture was taken really quickly at lunch as I was about to go back to work. The pictures were not flattering to my face, so I cut my face off visually. I mean, we're all good friends, but still – some things are better not shared!

I'll be linking up (using a good picture) to Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style. See you there!

Val

32 comments:

Megan Mae said...

Two totally awesome stripey looks! I adore how you've styled your obi belt. I really need to put together some more tights based outfits before it gets too warm.

Joni said...

Hi Val! I love how you've used Megan's Obi belt. I so wish I could do belts. I'd love to be able to wear one like it.
Love your poses with the orange tights. You're looking very mod cool! Even the shoes make a mod statement so I'd say wear em!

Oh, and HEY!! LOVE your fence art!! It's been so windy here half of my fence art is on the ground out back.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

I like the skirt with the black top!! You are looking extra slim in the pics-- it was the first thing I thought! In a good way, like all fit and stuff. Too hot for tights here now but I enjoy seeing you in yours!
Becky :)

sabine said...

Hello Val,
I love your active pictures and I love your striped outfits. For the first one the light brown boots are the perfect addition and for the second the obi belt is. Aren't you happy to find such amazing and so well fitting accessories in your closet. To add the orange tights is a wonderful idea, colored tights are be best invention of the last years.

Vix said...

You look so groovy! Love the monochrome skirt and the zingy orange tights. x

grunge-queen said...

Ah, Seinfeld and the puffy shirt, memories from the 90s! Your puffy shirt is great and how I love the mode-inspired look in this first outfit ... And the tights are fantastic!

Adrienne Shubin said...

Such a great outfit! I love that skirt - very flattering and the orange really works!
I do happen to have a puffy shirt...Goodwill find...that I will send to Wendy.
That is one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes. One of dozens. Can't stop loving that show.

Ofelia said...

Really like the cool poses and the red stockings and those Dockers are fantastic (great thrift find)!

Sheila said...

I love your poses! The orange tights are fabulous! I will have to break out my puffly shirt this week! You're such an inspiration. :)

pastcaring said...

I love the neutral and stripes with the brilliant orange tights! The pics are great.
Megan's obi belt definitely adds some pzazz to your work outfit.
Beautiful necklace too! xxx

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

This is a super cool look, Val..of course, red legs make everything..but I love all of it...the necklace is great! Do you sell your work??

gracefully50 said...

Haha, love your photos! Fun!
Seriously, I love your skirt!!! Orange tights rock! :)

Val Sparkle said...

Pam, there's a link to my Etsy shop in the text, and also in the sidebar.

Paula Ruta said...

Love stripes and love you wore them with orange tights--or what look like orange anyway!
Hey, it doesnt need to be the OOTD on THAT day! sometimes it feels fresher for me but I agree, its so hard to take pics during the week. then later you can work from a cache of photos.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Loving the orange tights with striped skirt - and the very cool action-woman poses : > Thanks for sharing all the good stuff with Visible Monday!

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

You are cracking me up! The title sounds like a Bruce Willis Die Hard movie!

You look so chic in this ensemble and the orange tights are pure genius. I tend to go too neutral all the time which can get a little blah. I'm hoping you ladies will get me off of autopilot and you are off to a good start!

True confession...I never watched Seinfeld. But I do have a puffy shirt. Can we still be friends?

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Orange and navy, very nice! The outfit is very retro!

Val Sparkle said...

I don't know what kind of life you've lived, what trials you've faced, what deprivations you've endured, but since this is true confession, I never watched Sex and the City.

Ann, Heather and Sheila said...

Loving the orange (my favorite color) tights! Also loving the stripes! Got a kick out of you cropping the head out of your picture. I do that all the time, too. It's amazing how many bad pictures I can take in a single shoot (perhaps I always look that way, but just don't know it yet??).
Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Val, You definitely have your groove on, and I love it. And you took great photos of yourself. I think the tights give you the Wow factor today, and I love how the necklace has the orange in it too.

I have been wanting a skirt just like yours. I don't usually go to Old Navy, but I should really check out their spring selection. And Target can't get here soon enough. It sounds like a great place for tights, and well, everything.

RED glasses!! Woot Woot!! I'm so excited and can't wait to see your debut.

Sue xo

Helga! said...

STRIPES! ORANGE TIGHTS!!! I love the shoes booties, they're super cute.

The flower pots on the back of the truck were there just for the wedding. In fact, that truck is going soon; it was part of a deal struck to fix the convertible! XXX

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

Fun, fun and more fun. I love the stripes and the orange tights just scream WOW!!!

xo,
Alyssa

The Style Crone said...

You stripes are divine, as are the orange tights. And your poses are always creative and fun.

Love Meagan Mae's obi. I just purchased one myself and am looking forward to the outfit that evolves around it.

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Really, the stripes, black and orage work so well! Has to be because of the beige neutral to keep the theme from going all "Beetle-Juice" on you! Pretty!

Misfits Vintage said...

Stripes and orange tights - what's better than that? NOTHING!!

Sarah xxx

Wendy said...

The puffy shirt, LOL! The stripes with the tights looks amazing, Val!!!

Anne M Bray said...

Loving stripes these days. I want to wear my B+W Old Navy dress EVERY DAY! But that would be too obvious at work -- they'd think I was sleeping in my car or something.
Like what you have going on with the tan booties -- it works for me. Red and tan and black. Sounds like a beer beverage.

Anne M Bray said...

oops ORANGE and tan and black

Emalina said...

Love that dress and your amazing orange legs!

JoKnows said...

Love the skirt and your fun pictures!

WendyB said...

I now think of my puffy shirt as "puffly"!

Style Sud-Est said...

hourra for the orange tights!
Love the attitude too, it gives some kind of power those colored thights, hey?