Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Puffly Shirt


There's something weird going on between me and Wendy B. That's Wendy Brandes, the jewelry designer. I don't follow her blog regularly, but I should. I stopped by the other day because I saw the title: What Wendy Wore:Family Guy Epiphany and 2 Seinfeld References. How could I not look at that? I love Seinfeld, and most of Family Guy. And Wendy's post was so funny! She referenced the puffy shirt on Seinfeld, as well as the pink-striped jacket lining. You should read her post, and watch all the Seinfeld reruns if you don't know them already.

I commented that I also have a ruffly shirt, which I call my puffy shirt, and which I was planning (before I read her post) to wear today. She replied that she wants to see a picture. So yada, yada, yada, here I am with a picture.

Mr. Sparkle as The Photographer

I thrifted this Oscar de la Renta puffly shirt. I just love the double ruff on the cuff. (That phrase kind of makes me think of "I like to shop at the duty-free shop." Another Seinfeld reference.  And really, don't you come across real-life Seinfeld references almost every week?)

The denim skirt is from JCP, tights from Target, thrifted shoes, belt from Fred Meyer, and necklace made by me last night while watching TV (probably not the kind of thing Wendy wants to hear). I'm going to call it "The Mulva."


Today on Wendy's blog she mentions buying stuff in museum stores. If you're reading this, Wendy, check out my post last Sunday, down at the bottom, where I mention the earrings I bought at the art museum store.

And then she mentions a children's book about kids spending the night in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg. I never read that book as a child, but I read about it on an art history blog, and I've been trying to find it at my local library. They have it in the catalog, but it's never on the shelves, even though the catalog says it's not checked out. Huh.

I'm thinking either Wendy is psychic or I am. To cover my bases, I'll be adding Wendy's blog to my blogroll. And I'll be going back to the kid's section at the library and looking – again – for that book. It'll probably be there now!

Then I'll stop at the bakery for a chocolate babka.

Val

24 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

ROFLOL....The Mulva. Val, you crack me up! That was an epic episode. Great work with the picmonkey today! Love your blouse, necklace,skirt,tights, shoes, and you.

Sue xo

Sheila said...

Wendy is one of my favourite bloggers - I've been reading her for 4+ years! I need to wear a puffy shirt - stat! I also shop at museum shops whenever I can - best jewelry!

Misfits Vintage said...

DeLORES! The blouse is lovely - I also like the double ruffle cuffle!

Sarah xxx

Joni said...

A beautifully made blouse and it looks ever so lovely on you. Now don't go and get stuck in a parking garage wearing it. Better yet, make sure your water pressure is good enough before you try and rinse out your conditioner. (my two favorite episodes).
You certainly are sharing some synchronicity with Wendy. Your Mulva looks great too! ;D

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Love the double ruff on the cuff! Love Seinfeld, too! Sounds like you and Wendy were having a cool little psychic blogger connection!
Becky :)

Vix said...

Such a gorgeous blouse, I look all the ruffliness and the divine cuffs! How freaky to have such a weird psychic connection. x

Liz said...

Love the blouse - the colour is amazing!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Megan Mae said...

Beautiful blouse! The color is so beautiful. Lol! Wendy's blog is so addicting. As a non-jewelry wearer, I find myself grabbing accessories more and learning too, from reading her blog.

pastcaring said...

Ooh, a spooky psychic connection... Or indeed coincidence!
Love your blouse, the double ruffle at the cuff especially.
Great photos by Mr Sparkle, he's got a good eye!
I read that book as a kid! I have just looked it up on Wikipedia and discovered the same author also wrote Jennifer Hecate Macbeth and Me (the UK version of the title omitted William McKinley, probably thought the Brits wouldn't know who he was...) Haven't thought about those books in years, so thank you for the reminder! xxxxx

sabine said...

This blue is definitely yours Val! I love the complete blue outfit and particularly that you added red shoes and the nice colorful necklace.

Ofelia said...


The blouse is has lots of romantic touches and it makes me think of Oscar Wilde poems!

WendyB said...

Okay, I was going to compliment the shirt but I forgot what I was going to say because I about laughed my head off over "yada yada yada."

Mariyln Haynes Smith said...

Love that style. Made one in Canary yellow and wore it to my first job interview.
I was hired on the spot.

Paula Ruta said...

Love these shots and the blouse too! What kind of camera do you have?

Connie said...

So cute and so funny. I am a Seinfeld addict. Meet me at Monk's.
Connie*

The Style Crone said...

Great puffy shirt and connection to WendyB. I've been following her witty and sophisticated blog for about two years. Mr. Sparkle takes beautiful photos!

Susan Partlan said...

I love your puffy shirt! Seinfeld Season 1 & 2 reruns are in the Netflix queue. I missed most of the shows the first time around.

kaffesoester said...

That shirt is so beautiful, and perfect paired with the denim skirt! You're quite an accomplished jewellery maker, the Mulva is lovely, with a spring feeling! Nice touch with the cute red shoes as well!

I've watched Seinfeld many years ago, and I don't remember the jacket with the pink-striped lining, so I hope you're going to show us?

Val Sparkle said...

That one was an Olympus with a few bells and whistles. It helps when someone else does it rather than using a timer.

Kezzie said...

This outfit is superb! I adore the ruffles and the pop of colour with the red shoes!! I also want to eat the necklace (just like DOlly Mixture!) but forgive me, it is 2.24am and I am marking work, so I may be a bit loony right now! You look fab!

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

snorting out diet coke from my nose is not fun after reading "mulva" LOL

Wendy said...

Your version of the puffy shirt is lovely (it definitely works better for you than Jerry, lol). You've sold me on Wendy, I'm off to check out her blog!

Style Sud-Est said...

Val this outfit looks so good on you!

Lynne DeVenny said...

If a puffy shirt is supposed to be pretty, then this is it! So fun to see you on WendyB's blog :) I'm behind on blog commenting, but lurking like mad.