Thursday, March 7, 2013

Shoe Craft


I lost quite a lot of momentum while I was sick. I'm still all sniffly and coughy, and I infected my lucky roommate, Mr. Sparkle, who's coughing and sneezing as if germs grow on trees. Our house is going to need a really good spring-cleaning this year!

So instead of doing outfit shots (partly I don't want to do outfit shots because I'm still sniffly, tired, and not really smiling very much. Also, I cut my hair while I was sick, and it looks pretty choppy right now. I'm sure most people would know not to cut their hair while they're sick, but I just have to be different.)…where was I? Oh, yes, instead of outfit shots, I'll show you some shoes.

I decided to decorate shoes, so I had to start by cleaning, and thought I might as well polish and shine all our boots and shoes that are leather. So I got them all out on the patio table – it was a beautiful day!


When I worked in Seattle, my office was in an area that had shoe shine guys on the street. They would do your shoes in about two minutes for whatever amount you were willing to pay. I generally stopped for this one guy who did a good job. My boots were always shined when I worked there! Now I have to do my own.




The first shoes I decided to alter were these sandals because I could actually decide what I wanted to do. The plastic (not real cork) wedge heel would be easy to decorate, and they're the perfect color to go with a leopard pattern – and I need some leopard shoes! So I found a print online, printed it, and tore the paper into pieces so I could fit them to the curve of the heel. I used Mod Podge glue and added a little brown paint to it so the torn edges of the paper wouldn't look white. 


Once the sole was covered, I cut the edges (not easy), and put a couple more coats of Mod Podge on everything, making sure to cover the top and bottom edges of the paper.



They didn't turn out too badly – and I can't wait to wear them. It's time for a pedicure!

I found an amazing website for ideas and information if you're interested in altering shoes – Sassy Feet and their blog.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities at the thrift store!

And I have just enough time to link up to Ta Dah! Tuesday at Faith, Hope and Charity Shopping.

Val

20 comments:

joyatri said...

Glad you're feeling better.
Wow! Those leopard print wedges are incredible. I wouldn't have thought of doing decoupage on shoes. I'll be curious to see how they hold up, so do let us know.
I know what you mean about decorating shoes opening up possibilities at the thrift store. Now I just look for shoes that fit, knowing I can make them any color I want. I'm not sure if you've seen my foray into shoe painting on my blog? I also posted a boring black nylon bag that I painted. You've inspired me to get cracking on those go-go boots!

Megan Mae said...

WICKED COOL! Seriously, what an amazing transition. Most of my shoes are some kind of nubuck or tumbled leather, but the ones that aren't definitely get polished up, either by a professional or small touch ups by those cleaner sponges by me.

Joni said...

You're sniffly and coughy and you did all this? I love what you did with these sandals so much I may have to attempt something like it myself.
Joyatri up there does some wonderful shoe painting too.

sabine said...

Hello Val,
the wedges got a perfect change. Now they look so cute and stylish, I look forward how you wear and combine them.
Hopefully you will get completly well soon and Mr. Sparkle too. Take good care of you!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Val! Your sandals are fantastic! They look like a completely different shoe, and I can't wait to see what you wear with them, and what colour nail polish you choose. You sure do a lot when you're still not 100%. I probably would have got the shoes out onto the patio table, and then gone to have a catnap in a sunny spot indoors.

I have read that applying an additional coat of Mod Podge to your shoes a day after doing your project, will help to really protect your artwork.

You and the Mister Sparkles, Take Care! Sue xo

14 Shades of Grey said...

Such an awesome idea, and so easy too! Hope you'll feel better soon!

grunge-queen said...

What a cool idea, Val! Your sandal makeover looks amazing! I wouldn't have the patience to do that and would very likely glue my fingers together. :)

Hope you're feeling better soon. :) xo

Judith said...

How very clever and stylish you are! Each time you are sick, give the haircutting a miss, but do another pair of shoes ..J

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Cool!! Can't wait to see what they all turn out like.
Glad you're feeling better!
Becky :)

Vix said...

Those upcycled leopard print wedges look incredible, I'd love to see them worn with some bright red opaque tights underneath. You are clever!
Hope you feel much better soon! x

Bella Q said...

Brilliant! I love the way they look and if its easy (I have mod podge) I'm gonna have to try it.

I hope you are feeling better, Val. Get some sunny Vitamin D and better soon.

Sacramento Amate said...

Nothing helps to recove than being positive and creative. Good for you.
Love, love, love what you did, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

no way! That looks awesome! You did a great job on those shoes. I'm totally inspired now! Get well soon!!

Kezzie said...

You are a genius! What a super idea! How funny you are talking about altering shoes because I found myself thinking about adding gold acrylic paint shape (can't decide on stars or hearts) to my black ballet pumps in church this morning!

Sheila said...

I am so impressed with your handiwork, Val! I spent 15 minutes hemming and hawing about a colour for my Vizzini-eaten Fluevogs and ended up with nothing. I just don't know what to do with them! Did you do anything to any of the other shoes? Have you ever tried shoe dyes?

pastcaring said...

They look amazing, Val! I have rejected shoes in charity shops because the heel is that awful faux cork or looks really plastic-y, and this is a perfect way to deal with dull crappy wedges. I am seriously impressed! xxxxx

Wendy said...

Well done!!! The shoes look like they were bought that way!

Jordan Randolph said...

Brilliant, Val!! This has totally inspired me to fix some shoes!! I love this idea!

Jordan
http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Wow, I would never have thought to decoupage shoes - they look awesome! I absolutely love these. I predict a rash of copycatting!
x

gina caro said...

wow what a fab idea! They're great