Friday, April 19, 2013

A Tale of Two Toppers



It was the best of times (lilacs are blooming!), it was the worst of times (bombs, explosions, Congress-NRA circle jerk). In the course of just a few days I found myself in possession of not a single, but rather two toppers, and thus my fortune was made.

It was the season of black and white, it was the season of color
How did this awesome bounty befall me?

First, I got this black and white fair-trade top from The Citizen Rosebud shop in Seattle (in exchange for buying Bella's lunch, so I got the best of the deal - thanks, Bella!). It's made by Marketplace - Handwork of India, and I showed it off in my last post, but here it is properly outfitted.

"Tellson's Bank by Temple Bar was an old-fashioned place, even in the year one thousand seven hundred and eighty."


So many choices for how to style it, so I decided to go against type. It would, of course, look great as a casual top over a T-shirt and jeans or a slim skirt. To be contrary, I've made it business-like by adding a shirt and tie and gray trousers.
shirt - JCP; trousers - Lee; tie - borrowed from Mr. Sparkle

sandals - Clark's
Then when I got home the other day, I had a package waiting for me. I had won a giveaway at Over50Feeling40 for a Torija topper from Soft Surroundings! Thanks, Pam, and thanks, Soft Surroundings!

T-shirt - Walmart; jeans - Levi's, thrifted; sandals - Fred Meyer
My first inclination would be to wear this with leggings, a summery skirt or palazzo pants (if I had some). But again I decided to do the opposite, and I wore it with straight-leg jeans and a black T-shirt.


I'm wearing my grandfather's bolo (previously seen here) and my own Barbie earrings (seen here).



I haven't checked out other Soft Surroundings products, but they were very good at keeping me informed by email when the order was processed and sent, and they followed up to see that I received it. The topper is nicely made, with French seams on the back panels, and nice little gathers at the shoulders. 

  
I'm starting to have difficulty deciding what to wear each day! I can imagine wearing both of these through the "spring of hope" as lightweight jackets and then into the "winter of despair" over a turtleneck pullover. 
 
Which one do you like best? Whichever one gets the most votes in the next day or so will be the one I put on Visible Monday at Not DeadYet Style.

Sunday - The tie is linking up with Visible Monday!

Val



35 comments:

sabine said...

I like both of the toppers, the blue one a little bit more, because of the floral pattern. You did a good job! I'm sure you will find for both tons of options how to wear them.
Whenever I see you wearing sandals I'm a bit envious. Still no weather for sandals here.

Melanie said...

I'm a pushover for a tie so of course I like the black and white number best. Your pairing is so unexpected and delightful. Having said that, the springy lovely blue is a winner as well. What's your mood tell you?

Déjà Pseu said...

Both look great on you! I like your "contrarian" styling.

Shybiker said...

Very cute. The first outfit with the tie is a winner.

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

I do like how you styled the first outfit better but I think I like the colour of the second one more.

It's funny, you are doing like George from Seinfeld...just do the opposite of what you would normally think of doing.

Those barbie earrings are super cute!

bisous
Suzanne

Bella Q said...

Almost a tie. Love the bolo- but the first outfit wins the prize- I love the jacket going against type. And I'm flirting with mens ties so love how you've played with the biz look.

Both toppers are great- however I lean towards the former, but I am obviously biased.

~julee~ said...

Both tops are beautiful, Val! (But it's your humor I love the most!) :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

~julee~

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Look number one is my favourite. It just makes me stop and say, Wow! It's not just the tie either. It's the way you've styled the whole outfit. Having said that, I do like the second look as well. After all, blue is probably my favourite colour.

Sue xo

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I have never seen a necktie look so awesome on a woman!

Beryl said...

I like the blue one. I can see it over a turtleneck for Fall, with jeans.

pastcaring said...

I like the styling on the black and white version (you rock the tie!) but the colour of the second version. So I am no help whatsoever...
Btw, a topper in the UK would mean a top hat! I hadn't heard that name before, and it is certainly easier than saying a floaty drapey non-structured jacket/cardigan made from a thin, non-knit fabric. So topper it is! xxx

Kezzie said...

I love both of them but the second one has turquoise in it which is my favourite colour so I vote for that! How marvellous to win that in a giveaway!!x

Patti said...

I heart them both, and all the stories behind them! It's so great when our clothes have stories. You look wonderful and thanks for linking
up. : )

highlandfashionista.com said...

I LOVE that black and white top...and the earrings! FAB.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Oh Val, both of these toppers were meant to be yours...they look amazing on you! I am so glad you won the Soft Surroundings contest!! Great Job! Have a wonderful week!!!

ann wood said...

Hi Val--they both a great. Boy the the one with the tie is happening! Very sassy and your hair looks lovely. Bet you had a fun trip!

blue hue wonderland

teatimewithtrina said...

Well, aren't you the lucky (and fortunate) gal. Although I do think the toppers ended up in the perfect hands. I like both as well, but I do love how you put together the first combination with the tie, very stylish.

Dawn Elliott said...

I love the way you styled the little black and white number with the trousers and tie - very cool!

Sheila said...

I just love how you've styled the first one - the tie is a stroke of genius!

Vix said...

Toppers? That's a dodgy canned product by Heinz from the 1970s, isn't it?
Love how you've styled both of these especially the first look, utter genius! your jewellery makes my knees go weak! xxx

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I am completely in LOVE with the black and white topper (new word to me too and I like it!) and I reckon you got the better end of the deal with Bella;). The tie is such an inspired choice and oh my I have been perving at your Barbie jewellery in your shop - SO gorgeous!! Arse-squeezes baby! xoxoxo

menopauselsupermodel said...

I love what you've done with both of them!!! Just shows the versatility when you use your imagination!

gracefully50 said...

You're just too cute!
The first outfit with the tie is really cool! Love how you styled it. The blue topper is a great color on you! Very pretty!

WendyB said...

Not everyone can work a tie (though we all tried in the '80s) but you look fabulous.

Zalina Walton said...

What luck! I really like the black one. Can wear it so many different ways.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Great styling! The tie is amazing-- so unexpected, but very cool. Your grandfather's bolo is so awesome. Love it.
Becky :)

Style Sud-Est said...

Funny you say i'm having a hard time deciding what to wear!
It's my problem every day hahaha!
Love the blue version, the color is extraordinaire on you but i like how you style the other version, brilliant with the tie
I could kill for those Barbie earrings!

Love and hugs

Ariane xxx

J. said...

Love the styling in the first pic! You look fabulous!

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

I LOVE the "off type" styling Val!! You know how much I love to see ladies wear ties.

How lucky to have lunch with Bella, I'm sure the conversation was as sparkling (pun intended)

xo,
Alyssa

Misfits Vintage said...

I lovey dovey LOVE the black and white necktie outfit SO MUCH! You look absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Sarah xxx

Emalina said...

Don't you look great! I particularly like the 1st outfit, so dapper and glamorous with that lovely jacket and tie.

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Aren't you lucky! I know what you mean ... multiple treats always make me feel like there's an abundance. Even if abundance is only two. But you got PLENTY with these! So pretty, both ... and clearly you are ready to wear them with lots of stuff.
Love your cute blue toes, too!
Have a great week.
J

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

I really love the first outfit. I especially like how you move beyond your first impulse about how to wear something, and take it to another level. Totally cool. The other topper is pretty, but i have to say the first one makes me have style envy. :-)

The Style Crone said...

The topper from Bella, which is my fave, is extraordinary and I love men's ties, so the total ensemble is perfection. And blue looks great with your hair, so I'm sure that you will have a good time wearing both.

No fear of fashion said...

I love your idea of combining the topper with a tie and formal trousers. So clever, so edgy. Well done.
Greetje