Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Do you like pina coladas?



Do you like to see old pictures of the bloggers you follow? I do, but if your answer to that question was NO, you might just want to move on to the next blog. If you stay, however, I can promise you pictures of Paris, Rome, and Barthomley!
 
A couple of weeks ago I showed you this photo of me in Seattle wearing my faithful and fail-safe raincoat.


Other than the picture above, I have no recent pictures of me wearing that coat. I had become bored with it – it's shapeless, it's plain black, and I grew tired of the epaulets and cuff straps (what do you call those?).

I have lots of pictures from early in our relationship, when things were still exciting.

1998, Barthomley, Cheshire, UK, near Nantwich. White Lion pub est. 1614
It has no label, so I have no idea what it's background is. I bought it in Nantwich, UK, around 1997. You know, after all these years, it still shows no signs of wear.

1998, York, UK, Mr. Sparkle and I imitating the pedestrian light
I usually wear it open or belted like a trench, but it could be worn straight like a smock-type coat. It's pretty lightweight, but it's also wind-resistant because it keeps me warm, and it dries in about 10 seconds when it gets wet.

1999, Spanish Steps, Rome
It doesn't take up much space, so we've had some good trips together. I don't think I've ever seen it wrinkled, and it's pretty comfortable. Also, it has one cute little secret – an internal pocket that's ideal for holding a passport and boarding pass between checking in and boarding a plane.

2000, Louvre, Paris
How could I be so shallow? This coat and I have had so many good times together, and it has everything I need! Why would I want any other raincoat – this one is perfect! I'll never take it for granted again. 

Do you have any old faithful friends in your closet? Do you appreciate them as much as you should?

Val

21 comments:

Helga! said...

I, for one, LOVE old pix! These are great!
I don't think I have any old faithfuls, none that I can think of right now, anyways! I like that your coat has some awesome travelling history!
XXX

Connie said...

You always were a cutie.

Grunge Queen said...

I love old pics too! Especially when there's a clothing history attached. Thanks for sharing! I have some old pics of me in my 70s frocks I must post soon ..... Xox

Mrs. D said...

I am always looking out for new things. Not that it's a good thing... Last year I donated a bunch of clothes and I found myself reminiscing about some of the stuff I let go and regretting it. Not that I don't have some amazing stuff in my closet but a couple of pieces I really should have kept. I should really take care or my wandering eye for clothes!!
If you're fed up with it you can always add something different to it?
Lovely post, it's great when you get to read someone's stories :)

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

What a cool post.

I have one dress from when I graduated that I wore again this past year. Yes I was delighted that I still fit into something that I wore when I was 16 years old. It's a very classic dress, must like your raincoat.

I have 2 other dresses in my wardrobe that are almost as old that I will probably never get rid of. One is the dress I wore to my wedding reception (we eloped so I don't have a "real" wedding dress) and the other is super classy fitted shift dress.

When I travelled and lived in Europe I had a fantastic leather bomber jacket like the one Tom Cruise wore in Top Gun. It was so large on me though that I gave it to my Dad quite some time ago. I'm glad I kept it in the family since like your raincoat my leather jacket had so many memories attached to it.

bisous
Suzanne

Vix said...

I love seeing on photos and hearing other people's travel tales! I went to The White Lion with an ex boyfriend about 22 years ago - takes me right back!
I have an Indian travel case, same of the same clothes go back year after year and it doesn't feel like a proper trip without my old faithfuls. xxx

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I'm so rough on clothes and I tend to buy super cheap and low quality retail crap so nothing ever has the chance to stick with me for more than a couple of years

PinkCheetahVintage said...

I love old pics! It's easy to get sentimental about clothes! I say keep it as long as you can see yourself wearing it on lots more trips!
Looks like you've had lots of fun times,
Becky :)

sabine said...

I love to see old pics of you and Mr. Sparkle. You are a handsome couple.
You should keep the coat and take it with you as a lucky charm. If you find it boring, you surely will find some colorful funny buttons to pimp it.
I have such an old friend in my closet, my old black leather jeans. But they are too small for me now, unfortunately.

Megan Gann said...

Hey when something works, it works! My leatherette jacket has been a long time friend. I frequently get asked if it's real leather, because it looks that good. It's nice and waterproof, which works better for me than a traditional raincoat.

pastcaring said...

I am another fan of old photos, I find them fascinating. How fabulous to see the old faithful coat over the years and through its travels. xxxx

Shybiker said...

Very amusing post. I love pictures from our past. It's fascinating to compare our youth to our present.

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

Another old picture fan in me, obviously since I just posted about a billion of my own. Yours are cuter however. The pic of you and hubby doing the pedestrian walk is a hoot!!

Classics are classics for a reason, right? You can't get more classic than a black trench!

xo,
Alyssa

Wendy said...

The shot of you in Rome is super cute!!! You have to keep that black trench for life :) it's been through too much with you!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Hey Val, You two are the cutest couple! Oh, and that's Mr. Sparkle I'm talking about.

I don't think I have an article of clothing that's been in my wardrobe for a long time. I'm going to have to go and check, now that you've piqued my curiosity.

Sue xo

WendyB said...

Ooh, I have lots of old clothes.

Great to see your pix!

The Style Crone said...

A true old faithful and love the old pics. My motto is, 'If I wear it once in 20 years, it's a keeper.'

Bella Q said...

Sometimes ones must imagine life without it to appreciate how great life is with it.

A black anything is easy to take for granted- it's not flashy or trendy but those are the items that stay the longest in the wardrobe.

I like these late 90s pics- shows how your style has evolved!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I love the pic of you two imitating the crossing:). Oh how could you turn your back on such a faithful old friend? It's an excellent length, perfect for your height, it doesn't swallow your tiny frame. My most faithful friends would have to be my cardigans - I love their coziness. xo

Dawn Elliott said...

I really enjoyed your post this week...as I was reading it I thought "this is a great coat...what is she thinking? But I/we all have things in my/our wardrobe(s) that we tire of. So nice to see your renewed appreciation of it! Now I want to look in my closet to see what I'm tired of, and have a little session together. Love your old photos!!!

No fear of fashion said...

I would call it a trusted friend. Hold on to it. It is very useful.
Loved to see your old photos.