Tuesday, May 7, 2013

If I were a boy


True story - My dad said he would have named me Ole if I was a boy. That's the Danish Ole (OH-lee). He may have been kidding, but then he said my name might have been Harold. I guess I got lucky being born a girl.

shirt - US Expedition - thrifted; buttonflowers - Megan Mae Daily
Another true story - When I was about eight years old I had a dream that I got my hair cut really short, and I turned into a boy. I looked like Eddie Munster. But the really funny thing was that my dream started out in color, but when I turned into a boy it became black and white. Maybe that's because The Munsters was in black and white on TV, and I had become Eddie Munster. But I think I also felt that being a boy would be dull in comparison to being a girl.

skirt - St. John's Bay from JCP; sandals - Bare Traps; belt - Walmart
I got a lot of hand-me-downs from my brother, and I loved them. I also got a lot of hand-me-downs from my sister, her friends, our cousins. I wouldn't have wanted to wear boys' clothes all the time. They were good after school when I was out playing cowboys with the neighbors, but I also liked my pretty dresses and shoes for church and piano recitals. I got the best of both worlds.

Like this outfit.

The top is a well made men's shirt, the skirt is denim, but it's still a skirt. I pinned buttonflowers to a necklace to make it all prettier.

one buttonflower is turned over - this wouldn't happen if I had a stylist
The sandals look like some my dad used to have, but his weren't a nice color like mine. This style is becoming popular again, as seen in this post on That's Not My Age.

I guess this is why Boyfriend Style is so popular now. We get to wear men's type clothes, but in prettier colors and fabrics! I know we pay more and the quality isn't as good, but I'd still rather wear girl's clothes.

I may be late, but I'm going over to Patti's at Not Dead Yet Style to link up with Visible Monday. I'll be number 327.

Val

PS - What would your name have been if you had been born the other gender?



18 comments:

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Must have missed you at VM ... late or no! You look so pretty in blue, and menswear suits your femininity!
Have a great week, kiddo!

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

my mom was sure I was a boy and I was Paul. Speaking of being a boy I totally cross dressed in my last post, so funny you posted this!

Megan Gann said...

Love the buttonflowers as a necklace! And the blue sandals are gorgeous. I keep looking for shoes in that color.

I would have been Spencer had I been born a boy. I was named for my great grandmother either way (Mae Spencer). But my mom knew I was going to be a girl. Pretty much all births in my family have been women. All but one in four generations have been female!

Connie said...

My name would have been Lawrence. AUGH! I'm so glad I'm a girl. I'm glad you are, too.

Charlotte Issyvoo said...

Lovely outfit. The colour looks great with your white hair.

I would have been named... wait for it... Tramit! Isn't that awful?

Melanie said...

I love your men's shirt with the skirt, and the Megan Mae buttonflowers add a great feminine touch. I have seen your look fab in a men's tie before too.
I have no idea what my name would have been if I were a boy...

Vix said...

I'd have been Rupert or Merlin so definitely a lucky escape being born female!
That shirt is great, lovely and crisp and perfect with the button flowers! x

Lady of Style said...

Really like this look! A jeans skirt is so timeless and always works.
I am a fan of statement necklaces and yours is gorgeous!

Annette
Lady of Style
now on Facebook

PinkCheetahVintage said...

I would have been Richard if I was a boy. My brother came next and, lo and behold, Richard it was!
Becky :)

No fear of fashion said...

Never even crossed my mind what my name would have been.
I like the buttonflowers made into a necklace. Gives the boy-look the feminine touch.

Bella Q said...

Roderick! And I would have been a total douchebag.

I love the masculine femme mix too, Val. Best of both worlds. And funny how those sandals are "in" whenever we admire Euro style- which is code I think for classic.

Sheila said...

This is a such a nice crisp look - the buttonflowers look lovely.

I would have been Eric Cameron, according to my mom. I narrowly missed out on being Sara Elizabeth (Beth for short).

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Hey Val! You remember the time I featured a tie in my outfit...turned out that almost every single photo, the tie was flipped backwards. I cajoled my husband that he needs to be my Jay Manuel, and not just my Nigel of AMNT. Yup, I need a stylist too.

I like this look. It's something that I could easily see myself wearing. Kind of J Crew feel. Super looking sandals too!

Sue xo

BlancheNeige said...

Tu es très jolie...en fille :)

pastcaring said...

Women are lucky in that respect, we can flirt with masculinity without anyone raising an eyebrow, and mix up the male/female thing to our own particular preference - much harder for men. Love the man's shirt/skirt look (Patti does it really well too.)
If I had been a boy, I would have had the same name! I was christened Curtis (no"e" on the end) though it is actually a family surname. My mum added the extra "e" later since everyone assumed I was a boy (well, they would!)maynard name perfectly incorporates both masculine and feminine! xxxx

Paula Ruta said...

I did consider dressing one of my boys as a girl....lol
Don't you live denim skirts? And love the sandals.

Kezzie said...

I love this type of outfit! It looks so chilled yet stylish! How funny that's what you would have been called! I was to be called Tristan if I had been a boy!x

Shybiker said...

Great post. Fascinating subject and revealing revelations. Your guess was right: life as a boy is much duller than living as a girl.