Thursday, June 20, 2013

Humidity as thick as blood


Once upon a time there were five brothers, born to poor Danish immigrants on a farm in Nebraska. The brothers each had one half of a drawer to store their clothes, and they shared two beds in their tiny house. They grew up, worked, married and had children, mostly daughters. Those cousins grew up and inherited the most valuable things of all - love and a sense of humor.

Eight out of twelve cousins
The cousins, of which I am happy to be one, started having regular reunions about ten years ago, as Golden Weddings gave way to funerals and they wanted to meet each other under happier circumstances.

This year we went to Paris, Texas, where cousin Jane lives with her husband and twin ten-year-olds. They've got a Texas-sized spread - there were fourteen of us and no one had to go to a hotel!

It was so hot and humid - in the mid 90s, and that felt like Celsius! Without the swimming pool I would have been soggy toast.

My cousin took us for rides in our grandfather's 1930 Model A. Her dad kept it until he died, and now she's had it restored.


We also visited the local historical museum, an art gallery, and the Eiffel Tower with a cowboy hat!

Some of us are wearing our Paris, Texas, caps that Jane gave us.
After leaving Paris, Mr. Sparkle and I drove down to Austin. It's beautiful country, as long as you have air conditioning. Austin was even hotter, and still humid, but that didn't stop us from walking to the metro rail and taking the train from our hotel to downtown. I've never sweated so much!

We toured the capitol building, which was really interesting.


Texas has had six different flags flying over it - Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederacy.

The building had some wonderful details.

These hinges are on every door.
We were in Austin on a Monday, so there wasn't much in the way of night life - except bats! The Congress Street Bridge is said to be home to the largest urban colony of bats in the US. They all come flying out at dusk, and there are dozens of people to watch the spectacle!


They're too fast to photograph with my little camera - they're just streaks - but if you Google "bats Austin" you'll get images and video. Wow!

And then we came home to cool temperatures and rain. Ah, does that feel good!

How are y'all doin'?

Val

14 comments:

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

What a wonderful collection of photographs and stories.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Welcome home Val! I've always wanted to go to Austin. Maybe not in June though. Your cousin's home looks beautiful. Like a resort, of which it kind of is, if she can host so many of you. It's so nice to read that you get together with your cousins and laugh and love.

Sue xo

Anne said...

Wow your cousins home looks amazing...I love the vintage car!Gorgeous photos:)
~Anne

Desiree C said...

Wow what an incredible way to celebrate family, by getting together regularly and staying all together in that huge, beautiful house with the pool. I'll bet the walls were reverberating with laughter! Such a beautiful photo of you gals (and one bloke) all together - I can see the Danish in you and your family. What a relief to get home though ... to the cool temps! xoxo

Vix said...

What fun! You look such a lively bunch, too! I adore that car! xxx

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

What a huge house and huge pool! Someone looks like they struck oil.

No doubt you lost some weight with all the sweating.

bisous
Suzanne

menopauselsupermodel said...

How cool is this?? It's awesome y'all get together like that!1 your cousin's house is fantastic!!
The Texas capitol looks amazing but bats??? EEEEEKKKKKKKK

sabine said...

You are a fun gang, you and your cousins! It looks like you had great days together. On google I found fantastic pictures of the bats of Austin. I love bats, have seen a very small one, living here in old houses. It must have been a great event!
Have a nice weekend Val!

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I've lived in Texas all my life and I don't think I've ever been to Austin. I've been to Paris once but that was just so we could pick up my stepdad's custom 1930s Plymouth Coupe he was having made.

Connie said...

Just one boy cousin amongst all those cute girls? Lucky guy!

Melanie said...

The inherited sense of humour - what a great gift. Looks like a fun trip with a Texas-size house. I remember bats in Japan and when we'd throw a shoe high into the air at night the bats would fly to it thinking it was - I don't know - a big stinky insect? I like the history in Texas but I would wilt in the heat. Glad you're back to your own cool digs.

oomph. said...

what a beautiful house they have. it's pretty hot and humid here, too. wish we had that pool to cool off in!

[oomph.]
COACH Bag Giveaway!

Joni James said...

what a fantastic car! Looks like a fun trip too.

pastcaring said...

I love the photo of you and your cousins - I bet you never stopped chatting and laughing the whole time! I can't begin to imagine the heat, I would keel over in those temperatures.
Love the Austin pics (even hotter though, eek!) especially the fabulous hinges. I like detail!
Good to have you back, Val! xxx