Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Choix Multiple

No outfit photos today, but this is what I would like to share:

A.         Earworm
B.         Architecture
C.         Sewing
D.         Maxipads

I don't want anyone to get bored, so you can pick and choose the subject that suits your fancy – or read them all. It wouldn't kill you. If you only have time for one, definitely go for D.

A.         Earworm

Do you know Pink Martini? They're not so much a big band as a self-described "little orchestra" from Portland, Oregon. They have possibly the best name in the universe for their genre of music. And the song that made them rich is "Sympathique."

Go on, listen. But I warn you – it is an earworm that will breed inside your brain. You may end up singing "Je ne veux pas travailler" while you're talking to your boss or mortgage lender.

B.         Architecture

Mr. Sparkle and I love houses. We both used to draw house plans when we were kids, and I remember having my dreams deflated when my dad told me architecture required a lot of math. But I have a keen appreciation of it anyway.

We went to Portland on Saturday for the Heritage Home Tour. I love this kind of thing – looking around other people's homes, homes that are so wonderful that they're on home tours, homes with built-in wood cabinets and benches on stairways and fireplaces in bedrooms. We saw two early 20th century craftsman houses, an Italianate Victorian from 1884, a mid-century modern house, and an urban loft conversion which just happened to be owned by the bandleader from Pink Martini. I loved the loft conversion – so spacious and funky. But the best one was a craftsman style home owned by a Portland artist, Chris Keylock Williams. I'm linking because I really liked her work, and you can see a photo of her attic studio here. No photos were allowed in the houses, so these links are the best I can do.

C.         Sewing

Maybe some of you have already seen the other Vixen – Solanah at Vixen Vintage.



She's adorable, and her recent post mentioned a place that does print-on-demand fabric! Have you heard about this? I'm not into sewing, but for those of you who are, you might want to check out Spoonflower. I am not promoting or vouching for them – just sayin'.

D.         Maxipads

I saved the best for last. I read about this on Facebook, and it was so funny I just want to share it with as many people as possible. The British sense of humor is unsurpassed, and I love it when a company is not afraid to be irreverent!

Source


Have a great week!

Val


10 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Okay, you warned us...but I fell for it. I am now je ne veux pas travaillering and pas de dejeunering all over the house...I adore the genre, and the band is fabulous!

I must check out the link to the fabric printing, thank you Val!

And, the Bodyform ad...a great laugh!

Val, were we separated at birth? We up here at A Colourful Canvas love old homes and have often gone on old home tours in New Westminster. We lived for many years in an old apartment with popping radiators, and tempermental plumbing, but we loved it. I linked through to the artist, but her pages weren't loading that quickly. I will check back again because I do love her work. I feel inspired to pull out my watercolours, as if I have time...

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

I loved all of these! TFS

bisous
Suzanne

Tamera Wolfe said...

ROFL--altho the Pink Martini song is AWESOME--and a much better earworm than the song 'It's a small world" (NOW get THAT out of your brain. You're Welcome!!!)

I'm an architecture buff, too--there is something about the craftsmanship oif older homes that's just LOSt in the McMansions of today!! Lucky for me my job involves drawing floorplans and designing everyday!!

Ah yes--spoonflower is AWESOME!!

The maxipad thing is HILARIOUS!! I always howled at the commercial showing the woman dropping her box of ladies products in an airport and a bunch of gals gathering to discuss feminine hygiene products. If I had dropped mine i'd keep on GOING!!

Kezzie said...

That song is awesome!!!! I am a terrible one for earworms!!!! I'll check out the maxipad thing! It's nice to see appreciation of British humour!x

ann wood said...

Interesting post Val, like the something for everyone quality. I have not come across vixen vintage before, what inspiring photos. I'm going to follow this one! Fun to hear about the home tour you attended. They are always so interesting.

blue hue wonderland

meriusa said...


I go definitely for B, Architecture Thank you for the interesting links

señora Allnut said...

You're right, dear lady, Pink Martini is a pretty good name and their songs are really earworms!!, but love them!
And thanks for sharing that wonderful print-on-demand shop, I'm coveting so many fabrics just now!!, too many fabrics, indeed!
besos

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I chose maxipads

Jeanne Baney said...

I've been a fan of Pink Martini for many years, have one autographed CD that was given to me when my son and his girlfriend (from Oregon) saw them in 2005 or so. Hang on Little Tomato is my favorite with Hey Eugene running a close second!

Mrs. D said...

Pink Martini <3 Je ne veux pas travailler, je ne veux pas dejeuner!