Friday, July 26, 2013

I Get By



Friday morning, I get in the car to drive to work. I would usually walk, but it's been hot, then my body temperature runs high from walking, hot flashes become hotter, and I spend the first hour at work moist, and clammy. I couldn't face it.

I'm also a little sore from falling the other night when watering plants. There's a little bank at the side of our house, which is basically clay. I stepped on the side of the bank, which was wet, and slipped in the mud, slipping, slipping, falling, watering hose flying, nozzle hitting ground, spraying all over me. That's when my neighbors drove up. They missed the main action. But we started chatting as I explained why I was wet and muddy, and as I was talking to them I saw the gigantic contusion on my arm. It doesn't hurt, but it's really quite impressive. Other parts do hurt, and today I'm a feeling a little creaky.

So as I was saying, Friday morning, I'm hot, and sore, and get in the car to drive to work, I open the sunroof and turn on the radio, and they're playing Sgt. Pepper, just as it goes into "With a Little Help from My Friends." I smile, I tap the steering wheel and sing, I arrive at work ready to face the day. Thank you, DJ, and thank you, John, Paul, George, and especially you, Mr. Ringo Starr!


Source
Here's what I wore to work. Yes, I wore this to work. I know it looks like a garden party outfit, but it was so comfortable and cool. Armpits be damned!




I took the photos on Thursday evening when I was trying out the new-to-me thrifted pants and shoes.



Lovely gauzy white pants – big pants! The tunic is from World Market, the pearls were a gift long ago.


These are white, although they look like ivory here.

But the genesis of this outfit is the shoes, which I just thrifted last week. Spy Girl's 52 Pick-me-up prompt this week is Feet First - start with the shoes, and then create the outfit. Since I bought the shoes and pants together while I was in summer whites mode, it was inevitable they'd be in the same outfit. The tunic was an easy choice to top it off. I added pearls for the photo shoot, although at work I wore a turquoise necklace and some more practical, black sandals.




I'll be sending my garden party outfit to Jill of Everything Just So for "How I Wear My…Casual Party Outfit." That post will be published on August 1, so be sure to check it out via Jill or Adrienne at The Rich Life (on a Budget).

Since I'm dressed for a garden party, I'll also head over to Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday. We can talk about our favorite Beatles!

Val

32 comments:

Connie said...

Oh I love big pants. Love 'em. You look very cute. Ice water, Baby. Ice water!!

Melanie said...

Garden party at work? I'm all for it!! I hope you took gherkins and a plastic wine glass in your lunch box.
Most importantly, I hope your body stops hurting soon. Gaaa. I'm glad you had the Beatles on call to help pull yourself together.
Your toe polish is grand!! The shoes too, but I love the polish...

Judith said...

So fresh and on-trend looking - very you indeed! Hope the body bumps recover soon...J

ann wood said...

I think these white pants and summer top is looking fab and comfortable for a warm day. Hope you are doing OK after your slip in the garden. Have a fun weekend!

blue hue wonderland

Wendy said...

The outfit is beautiful - I'm quite envious of those pants!

I do not do hot, clammy walks to work unless I absolutely have to. And, don't feel bad about the fall (happy you are okay) - I tripped recently outside of the Target garden center... The good news is no one saw. :)

Anne M Bray said...

This is great! You look cool as a cucumber! I'm especially enamored with the print on your tunic. Loves me a good intricate paisley!

Thanks for linking up with 52 Pick-me-up!

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

We have a VERY steep embankment/berm at our house and I won't go near it. VERY slick whether wet or not. I hope you weren't wearing these lovely white pants when you slipped as they really are gorgeous.

xox

Mrs. D said...

The description of your fall sounds like it came from a movie. Oh dear, I hope it doesn't hurt too much.
Love the wide legged trousers, they're fab!

Liz said...

Hope your aches and pains are not as bad! Love the outfit, looks really cool.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Une femme said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've hurt yourself. Aches and pains suck. Love the "garden party at work" look. Why not? Ringo approves.

meriusa said...


"Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,"
Are blogger friends included too?
I think so,although they cannot really help getting up.
Thank you for reminding me of this excellent Beatles song.

pastcaring said...

Ouch to the fall and the bruises...But hurrah for the swooshy white trousers and monochrome tunic, you look very elegant. Never mind dress down days at work - start a dress up for a garden party theme! You look thoroughly elegant and sophisticated, Val. Xxxx

List Addict said...

Ouch! But at least your pride didn't have to go through an audienced spectacle. I love your Garden party outfit. It looks so cool. Fabulous palazzo pants and the shoes look in great condition.

Sheila said...

Those are awesome shoes (and I love your multi-coloured pedi!) and pants. Who doesn't love billowy white pants??

Glad to hear you're okay after your spill!

Marla Robinson said...

love that tunic top

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You look wonderful, Val...and that should give you lots to smile about! I thought about Ringo in early July...I think his birthday is the 7th!! Have a wonderful week full of smiles!

popcosmo said...

Falling is the worst - hope you are ok. Love those pants! They are amazing!!!! and your toenail polish is gorgeous - 2 colors looks like so much fun!
xo ~kim

Spashionista Alicia Searcy said...

I'm sorry you fell (that's usually my trick) and I hope the aches wear off soon.I'm in love with your outfit and especially the sandals. I'm also a rabid Beatles fan, got married on Ringo's birthday, so I'm glad to meet another one!

Alicia

Patti said...

sorry to hear of your spill, it's been my doom to fall almost anywhere, at any time so I do feel your bruises : > Love, love the big pants! And the sandals and the pedicure too - thanks for sharing with Vis Monday. xoxo

Paula Ruta said...

Love the pants val! It gets scary now when we take a tumble. I mean it could be a broken hip! eh gAD! XOXO

Helga! said...

I can't think of anything better than going to work dressed like you're off to a garden party!
No, darling, I have never taken inventory......I'm too terrified to! XXX

Vix said...

Sham about the fall, you poor thing.
Love your swishy pants. x

Tamera Wolfe said...

Oh my--I hope you're feeling better!!

LOVE this--classy, cool, summery--those pants have POSSIBILITIES!!

Ariane Lasalle said...

Hi Val

I love the colors, white and blue is always very classy!
What i like most are your toes, 2 colors, way to go girl!
Plus you look so stunning,gorgeous in the pic sitting on the chair looking way, so exquisite, no joking! such a good shot of you Val

hugs

Ariane

Zalina Walton said...

I really like how you paired wide legged pants with the tunic. It looks great on you.

Gabriala Brown said...

Wide legged wonderous pants! :-)

Dawn Elliott said...

Damn girl - you look darling! I can't believe all the cute thrifted items you find - love the pants AND the shoes! (Toenail job ain't bad, either!) With your cute sleeveless tunic, you've got it goin' on! Not bad for someone who doesn't really like to shop!
Your fall...a fun story to tell, maybe...but otherwise, heal quickly, yes?

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

Oh my! I'm glad you didn't break anything. Yikes. At least you didn't bruise your outlook on life.

Loving the toes : )

bisous
Suzanne

Veshoevius said...

Ouch! I hope that you are on the mend now and not in any pain. Love the wide white trousers - they're a classic for summer! The print top looks great with them.

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

I'm so sorry about your big owwwie. One of the reasons Dan and I don't ride any more is that getting thrown or just falling off is too much of a risk, and just too painful the next day even if it's not serious!
You look adorbs all the way around. Is your pretty top black or navy? Either way, very exotic especially with the wide leg pants. Crisp and elegant.
What's wrong with your armpits. Won't they let you bring them to work with you?
And the sandals are just gorgeous.
Hope you have a cooler, safer week.

Crazy Ravens Studio said...

You look like you should be strolling through Greece with Shirley Valentine! Such a cool, refreshing look.

Erica Louise said...

Your tunic looks great matched with your new-to-you white trousers, great thrift find there!