Monday, September 16, 2013

Random Facts of Mindlessness



Welcome to Monday (or Tuesday if you're on the early side of the world, and let's face it - most of the world is earlier than the west coast of America) – another step along the road to retirement, a large inheritance, or winning the lottery. If any of those should occur I would leave office life behind as soon as I could responsibly resign. (I'd clear my desk at night and paint "So long, suckers!" on the wall.)

One can dream…

Here's my outfit from Friday. I'll show you my outfit from Monday on Thursday, or Wednesday, or Saturday.



I love this new shirt! It has birds on it!

shirt - Target; skirt - Christopher & Banks; belt - thrifted; sandals - Doc Marten's (old)

It was on sale, it's large, but it works. And because I was listening to Jimi Hendrix last week, I think of this as my Little Wing shirt.




Backup singers – I've mentioned before how they rule the world. We just saw the documentary film Twenty Feet from Stardom and it was fantastic! So many talented and beautiful women. Check out Lisa Fischer singing Gimme Shelter with the Stones in 1995. She's AWESOME, and she also seems like a fun person in the film. Seriously, you have to play this video. 




I mean NOW. Just play it! She will make you cry, she will make you quiver, she will make you believe in God!

She didn't do the original recording, though. That was Merry Clayton, who's also in the movie, and is pretty bad-ass herself.

We saw the trailer for a new film called "Still Mine" with James Cromwell and Genevieve Bujold as a long-married couple. La Bujold is adorable! I know that's not a totally dignified word to describe a stellar actress, but come on, she is adorable! 




And lastly, I may have found an almost-cure for hot flashes! One of the things I heard in a podcast (website recommended by Ann and noted in my post here) was that hot flashes are not necessarily caused by low estrogen, but by an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone. I saw other information about this on the web, so I looked up ways to increase progesterone. Things that encourage progesterone production include Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium. There's also a progesterone cream available over the counter in the US, and chasteberry is suggested to be helpful in balancing hormone levels, but I haven't looked into either of these.

However, I had some Vitamin C and magnesium supplements at home, which I hadn't been using, so I started taking them. Each day I've been taking Estroven (it has Vitamin D and other menopause-friendly stuff), and 400 IU of Vitamin E, 500 mg of Vitamin C, and 400 mg of magnesium. This has been working really well! It was hot here last week, and my hot flashes were more like tepid flashes – no sweaty face, no waking up "dewy" during the night. I still won't be wearing heavy sweaters with scarves, tights and boots while drinking a bottle of red wine and having a chocolate dessert, but I will have some wine and chocolate if I can adjust my layers of clothing. (giant happy face!)

Now the weather is cooler, I'll start rotating these supplements rather than taking all of them every day, and see how that works. Don't want to look like some kind of fanatic with all my pills and shit.

Enough for now. Random comments will be kindly appreciated (and mindless comments will be randomly puzzled over)!

Val

22 comments:

Sheila said...

I love the "little wing" shirt - huge Jimi fan here, since I was a kid. I'm going to see Emmylou Harris in a couple of months, one of the all-time great back-up and guest singers (before she started recording her own things). Very excited.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

So happy to hear that you are finding at least a little respite from the *heat*! If you're not waking up in the night...wonderful!! ProGest is helpful for some people. I used to always stock up on it when I was in the US. Not available over the counter here in Canada. We have some weird, unappreciated vetoes on many safe herbs and supplements. {Sigh}

I love the birds too, especially the colour!

~julee~ said...

I have a serious bird phobia, but the shirt looks nice on you. :)

Glad the hot flashes are under control. In a few years I'll be scratching my head trying to remember "those tips from blogger Val".

Melanie said...

What a meno-doper! So glad your concoction is working. I'm grateful that we don't have thought bubbles hovering over us when we walk around in public, broadcasting to the world our worries and dreams. It would be great to see your bubble of affinity for Hendrix in this outstanding bird shirt. Thought bubbles would be much more distracting than cell phones. Clearly my thought bubble would be a void right now.... Must sleep.

ann wood said...

Glad to hear your "hot flash hell" is getting better! Good to hear to the Nutritional Weight and Wellness ladies had some helpful info and helped lead you down a path to an answer that is working for you. I'm looking for the mother load of money to float by too so I can grab it and not work so hard!

blue hue wonderland

Une femme said...

Love the bird print shirt! Glad you've found some relief from the personal heat waves.

Gabriala Brown said...

You are such a crack up! (so long suckers... :-)!!! I remember saying that same thing when I walked out of an office job in my 20's. Love your birdie shirt, so free feeling. XO

Vix said...

Lisa Fischer backed The Stones at Glasto this year! She's amazing.
A witty bird in a bird shirt = cool. x

Vix said...

Lisa Fischer backed The Stones at Glasto this year! She's amazing.
A witty bird in a bird shirt = cool. x

Ariane Lasalle said...

Ouf Great pill cocktail you are having - I will stick to my Salvia which works well for me - 8 drops in the morning, 8 drops at night -

Love your birdy shirt, so cute!
You know La Bujold is from my hood,of course she left a long, long time ago - I love her she is a good actress and still looks adorable but i think she aged a lot lately or was it done for the movie? I don't know...

Me too i would retire right this minute! yes goodbye suckers!I work i tell you with the weirdest bunch of people - Anyway i don't work much and i can work on my Etsy shop and look at blogs!
You never know i want it so bad something might happen!

I will listen to the video

Take care

Ariane xo

Tami Von Zalez said...

I would like to put in my two-week notice with the wording "Take This Job and Shove It."

M'kay now that I have that off my chest.

Estrace, it'll do wonders.

Tamera Wolfe said...

Love your bird shirt--in fact the whole outfit is great!!!

If i won the lottery I'm hiring a helicopter to hover over the base while i moon them!!

LISA FISCHER!!! OMG someone else who's heard of her!! i have her album with "How can i ease the pain" on it--give that song a listen if you want to hear a vocal masterclass with CHILLS!! Incredible!

sabine said...

We are dreaming the same dream! When it comes true I will leave my office and will go for a trip all over Europe for at least one year. Dreams are wonderful, aren't they!
You look lovley in your bird blouse, I love that pattern!
And I'm glad you found a solution to reduce the hot spots. I know the benefits keeping cool very well.

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

What a brilliant song. I regret not going to see them in concert.

That movie looks good but I always get so sad when people have Alzheimer's. Both my grandparents had it and it was terrible.

I love birds. In fact I had a little bird for almost 17 years. A little lovebird named Midas. Broke my heart when he passed away.

Glad to hear you found something for the hot flashes.

bisous
Suzanne

Megan Gann said...

Sweet bird print! I'm oddly fond of the fact that some of them are upside down.

pastcaring said...

Gimme Shelter is just a great song, so thanks for putting that in your post, Val!
That is a very sweet print on your shirt. Good to hear your hot flushes are more under control since you have added in those supplements. It all seems rather complicated, but totally worth the effort if you feel the benefits! xxxx

The Style Crone said...

Happy to hear that you've found a way to minimize your hot flashes. I will pass this on to friends, as I have passed through this 'interesting' phase of life.

Your mention of backup singers reminded me of the 70's when I was one of three women who backed up a group named Detroit Street. We were called the Fresh Strawberry Tarts (took the name off of a menu in a restaurant that we were in before our first performance). Ohh the memories!

Sacramento Amate said...

Hot flushes are a way for the body to cope and get rid of the toxins that cannot get rid of through menstruations. They will pass and you will feel better than ever before.
I love the birds in your shirt.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Isabella said...

If you haven't seen Portlandia's "Put a Bird on It" sketch, I highly recommend it. It will make you love your bird shirt even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmLljk2t8M

Rosemary the Shopper said...

"So long, Suckers!" Yes, I can identify with that sentiment. I was made redundant from a job which I had begun to loathe, the last 2 years there working for The Supervisor From Hell. Everyone was sympathetic that I was made redundant, and I "put on" my whistful face, and said, "well, that's the way it goes." On the inside, I was yelling and screaming and hopping up and down for joy. I get to leave this crappy job, AND they are going to give me some money to do so, AND everyone is sympathetic? Fan-bloody-tastic!

Much love from England,
Rosemary from
www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

mindless comment: there was no spaghetti last night so we took a bus to the shore to have a stare at the guns... the one's with the yellow handles. But that's ok because my knowledge of 14th century tribal warfare is great... but I am lacking in culinary skills. Like a cat on meth-amphetamines... there was no one around to see me.

Dawn Elliott said...

Love the "so long, suckers" idea...
and the bird shirt, too! You look so casually cool!
I found myself making a note of your meno-suppliments, as I too, need to add in some of those basics again. Thanks for the update...and shit! Ha!