Monday, September 9, 2013

The Dream of Sally Parkle



Last night I dreamed I got into a time machine. It was made of tubes and gears, colored lights and a velvet chair. I traveled back in time and found myself as the proprietress of a saloon in Weed, California. I did a little singing and dancing, too, because a broad always needs some money to take care of herself.


A sugar daddy called J. C. Penney bought the shirt for Sally.

My name was Sally Parkle, but the locals called me Red. I organized the local chapter of suffragettes and was on the town council. I had keys for the town hall, the school, the jail, the hotel, and the preacher's house.




I decided to open my saloon in the mornings and serve real good coffee along with croissants and brioches. In the summer we served the miners and cowboys on the patio - that way their smoke and body odor didn't interfere with other customers' enjoyment of their java.


Sally saved for months to buy the skirt made by a stranger called Avatar.

I kept my hair short, my gun oiled, and my customers happy. On Mondays I had all my showgirls hang around outside the door so my place was easily visible to any newcomers in town. On Wednesdays I had a shoe shine guy sitting by the door. He'd rake in some dough and pay me a commission for letting him sit there.


Sally bought her shoes second-hand from a traveling salesman named Kenneth Cole. She couldn't decide which ribbon she liked best, so she used one of each.

Pretty soon the cowboys on the patio took up smoking different kinds of things besides tobacco, and that's why the town was called Weed.


Sally liked to sit in her grandma's chair and breathe the smoke from the wacky backy the cowboys smoked.

I woke up and the dream vanished.

Almost.


Sally's favorite coffee cup

Linking up with Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday, Spy Girl for 52 Pick-me-up, and Shoe Shine at Citizen Rosebud, and Show Me Your Style at Style Sud Est.

Sally, I mean Val

26 comments:

The Style Crone said...

A highly entertaining dream, and I am very taken with the skirt that Sally purchased from a stranger called Avatar. Your story telling skills shine as brightly as your shoes.

~julee~ said...

You're a hoot, Sal, er, Val! :) Love the skirt!

Connie said...

That skirt was such a good purchase. Yes indeedy. A saloon that serves croissants. Please don't let it be a dream. You look amazing.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Seriously?! You are a natural story teller Sally! I love the mug for your half calf, soy latte, easy on the foam.

And isn't the sun great at this time of year...

Sheila said...

I love your saloon madam dream interlude, and I adore the semi-steampunk way you accessorized this skirt! I must copy the two colours of ribbons.

Melanie said...

Val, sorry to rain on your parade, but that was not a dream. Everyone knows that there are seven dimensions and simply one dimension crossed over with another, so you were/ARE Sally. I think it was that smoke that crossed you over.
Love this outfit! I want to dance in the saloon with shoes like yours, keep my hair short and my gun oiled.

pastcaring said...

I think you would be a fine saloon proprietress, V/Sal! You certainly look the part in that fabulous skirt. Mine's a cappuccino and a pain au chocolat, please. Set 'em up. xxxx

ann wood said...

This is why I adore your blog! Great story and the outfit is dreamy in it's fun spirit. I'm there with you, maybe wearing a big hat with fringe!

blue hue wonderland

Patti said...

Hey Sally, love your vision and your skirt! Way to make a dream come true : > Thanks for sharing with Vis Monday xoxo

Liz said...

Great fun! Loved it!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

Ha ha! I love the whole saloon bit. We were in Juneau this year and you would have fit right in with the gals at The Red Dog Saloon.

That skirt is so much fun! I bet you swishing and sashaying those hips all over the place.

The booties are perfect. The bows are very Dr. Seuss.

bisous
Suzanne

Megan Gann said...

Oooh! That magnificent skirt makes its debut!! I love it as much now as when you first posted it. Even cooler because it's all styled up!

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Wooohooo! Sal ... love ya, gal! Love me some narrative, and you just made my day.
Weed? So sorry your dream landed you there! Urk.
Love the outfit, Sally ... sorry,Red.
Especially the shoes.

Between you and Mel, my day was elevated considerably. Thanks so much.

List Addict said...

I'm glad it didn't vanish to the point where you weren't able to regale us with the tale, or to the point where you weren't able to bring back some of your wardrobe. Love the touches of the digfferent coloured ribbons in your shoes. Fabulous!!

Laurie said...

Keep dreaming Sally! I mean Val! Great outfit. Great story. I think I need to get myself a time machine, or find an avatar to make me a skirt like that.

Tamera Wolfe said...

I am dying laughing at your dream--so awesome!!
And you definitely look like the baddest chick in town Sally!!

Tamera Beardsley said...

Such an engaging and entertaining post my dear!

Anne M Bray said...

Delightful!

So glad you linked this up with 52 Pick-me-up.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

lolzzzzz at your Weed town! The skirt and shoes are effing killer.

Spashionista Alicia Searcy said...

Got any Sasparilla, Sally, or is it just coffee and croissants? ;-)

I love the skirt and I think it's perfect with your Kenneth Cole oxfords! If I were taller I'd wear one for sure ;-)

Alicis

Ariane Lasalle said...

Hi Val!

Tks so much for linking up, how come i miss this post?
Such a good story! I love the part that you kept your gun oiled -
I love the ribbon for the shoes and the skirt has such an interesting shape -

Have a good weekend

Arianexo

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

Best. Dream. Ever.

Lynn Marsh said...

LoL. Love westerns...

Crazy Ravens Studio said...

That Sal, she's quite a gal! Want the skirt but love the mis-matched ribbons on the shoes.

Dawn Elliott said...

Ah, another alter ego coming out! You're too cute for your own britches...ur...skirt! Can you teach me to be clever and brazen?
P.S. What uber-cool shoes, woman!!!

Gabriala Brown said...

CRACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean Wacky tabacky right? xoxoxoxo!!!!!! Love those kicks and ribbons, you made my evening!!!! xoxoxoxox