Monday, October 28, 2013

Fame and fortune and everything that goes with it



This little blog must be reaching critical mass, or else my own brand of timidly restrained quirk is catching on. In one week I was contacted to do a sponsored styling, and was asked for permission to pin my photos on a Pinterest board. Fame hog that I am, I said yes and yes.




The Pinterest board is hosted by Josep-Maria Badia. I'm sure a lot of you have seen his blog and/or his comments on other blogs. It was very courteous of him to ask my permission, and now I'm on his Pinterest board, La Moda Madura, and he's added a link here on his blog. He has very good taste, and yet there I am. I'll be following his blog now, too.

My sponsored styling will be on behalf of Marketplace:Handmade of India. When I got the email from them, I was wearing one of their shirts, so it's not like they had to twist my arm. I already like their clothes and appreciate the fair trade aspect of their company. I'll be wearing one of their tunics next week for a post, so keep watching.


coat - Guess; pants - Lee; boots - Caressa, thrifted

It's kind of weird. Here I am in my little backyard, yet I'm being seen around the world. But I guess if I didn't like a little bit of attention I wouldn't be blogging, would I?



I got the coat at Nordstrom Rack, which just opened here a few weeks ago. I loved the color (teal is everywhere lately!) and style of the coat, but it looked like it had been at the bottom of a box since last year. So I took it home, just like a stray kitty. I brushed off all the fuzz and hair, and steamed out all the wrinkles. I also had to sew on one of the replacement buttons. But it was only $60, and now it looks pretty great.



The scarf was a gift from my mother-in-law several years ago – perfect for fall, and a perfect match for the coat. The earrings you can barely see were also a gift. The pin is just a bunch of beads and wire I mangled together - fertile chaos!



So that's me at the start of this week. No, I'm not dressing up for Halloween. What's up with you?

Val


22 comments:

The Style Crone said...

Congratulations on your exciting news and will be watching for your sponsored styling. And your phrase 'fertile chaos' is one that I may just have to borrow for use in the future.

I love the color teal on you and how wonderful that you restored it to its original state of beauty.

Jill said...

That coat looks wonderful on you, I love both the cut and the color.

Sheila said...

Wonderful coat, both in cut and colour! I'm totally dressing up for Hallowe'en!

Chicatanyage said...

Love the coat and the scarf. Teal is one of my favourite colours.

Connie said...

Now that you're famous, PLEASE don't change.

josep-maria badia said...

I like the coat, color and design. The scarf is gorgeous.

Vix said...

Fame at last! That coat is so cool and the scarf is perfect with it! x

Melanie said...

Timidly restrained quirks and fertile chaos, no wonder you are in such high demand! I'm thrilled that some day I can say, yes, I knew her when we was posing by dumpsters for no pay... That VOGOFF issue will be worth MILLIONS!
I like the label Caressa. It reminds me of your secret spy Austin Powers name.

Judith said...

Well done, and well deserved ~ I just love exciting news like that! Love the coat as well ... J

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

ooh...you're wearing the coat I want!

Congrats on your first sponsor.

Fertile chaos...thanks! now I know what to call my studio!

bisous
Suzanne

Tamera Wolfe said...

Congrats on the exciting news!!
That teal coat is freakin' FANTASTIC!! love it with the scarf!!

Tamera Wolfe said...

Congrats on the exciting news!!
That teal coat is freakin' FANTASTIC!! love it with the scarf!!

WendyB said...

I'm dressing up for Halloween this year. I hate missing it! Sometimes I have nowhere to go though.

Kelly Jackson said...

Congrats Val - it's always great to be appreciated! Love the coat, so rich.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Val you ARE sparkling! Cool on the sponsored posts. Woot Woot.

sabine said...

Congrats Val!
You look fabulous in your double breasted coat. I love it, it is so Mary Quant style.The scarf has a wonderful floral pattern.
I look forward to seeing your sponsored shirt.

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Fame, ya, gimme! How completely fabulous for you! Maybe someday, if I'm good enough, somebody will want me to style them too!

Cheers from England,
Rosemary from
www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

pastcaring said...

You ARE a champion, Val! Will you still speak to us, now you're famous? Hope so!
Love the smart coat, you did a great restoration job on it, and along with the beautiful scarf, it will keep you cosy all winter. xxxx

Dawn Elliott said...

You're famous now, as it should be! I can't wait to see you in that Indian tunic, so I can do some serious drooling. Speaking of which, having a Nordstrom Rack is also worthy, as is that wonderful teal coat! I have my eye on a teal piece, as well...
Oh, and congratulations!!!

ann wood said...

Fun to hear the good news! Josep is a gentleman and does a great job featuring 40+ women from all over the world. Different flavor than Patty's link up, I guess more European in style.
Oh I like your coat! Great color and classic at it best in design. I think this coat would go with just about everything!

blue hue wonderland

Francesca Edesia said...

Congratulations! You look great in that coat, it suits you a lot. Greetings from Sicily.

www.saucysiciliana.blogspot.com

Ariane Lasalle said...

Congrats Val! Nice to have a little recognition sometimes - I will do a review on Firmoo glasses soon , they are sending a pair of progressive lens -

The color of that coat is perfect for your - The brooch you had on your coat seemed interesting - Your mother in law has great taste -

I bought second winter coats this week and they have gone to the cleaners but instead i put them in the washing machine and hang dry -
They look fine- caching$$$$ - i saved about $35 -

I'm all dressed up for Halloween!

Ariane xo