Friday, October 11, 2013

Gypsy farts tea contest



True story – when we lived in Crewe, UK (the armpit of England), there was a vacant shop, among many, that had their painted sign left intact – Arts & Crafts. Except that someone had tacked a paper F in front of it.

It never failed to make me smile. :-)

So here are the latest things that have been smelling up the air in my arts & crafts room. The glue, people, the smell of the glue.



Mini gypsy caravan with hand-painted satin bedding, and mini tarot cards on the shelf.






Then there's this simple little portable tea tin. It'll hold several tea bags if you're a tea snob who likes to bring your own.


the inside is clean so there's no glue or lacquer to scent the tea

The thing is, I only drink tea at my mother-in-law's or National Trust cafes in England. So I'm going to give this away in a drawing, and I will gladly mail it to any country. If you'd like to receive this, all you have to do is leave a comment with your email address, and name a city anywhere in the world. I've already randomly selected a location (I thought of several cities, wrote them down on slips of paper, and drew one), and I will send the tin to the person who names a city closest to the place I selected. Very scientific, huh.

I'm most likely going to liquidate my Etsy shop after Christmas, so there may be future giveaways! Cheering or cringing, I can't quite tell what the reaction is...

I haven't taken a decent outfit picture this week, and I'm missing my usual linkups. I'll just have to stalk you lovely ladies at Bella's Shoe Shine, Spy Girl's 52 Pick-me-up, and Ariane's Show Me Your Style Blog Hop.

Don't forget to leave a comment and mention a city if you want to receive that exquisite, artisan, one of a kind, almost-magical, portable tea tin!

UPDATE: The contest will close Monday evening, October 14, at 9:00PM Pacific time.


Val
 

20 comments:

Tamera Wolfe said...

I adore your little tin vignette!!
I'm a big tea-drinker in cooler weather!1
I'm gonna guess Aberdeen Scotland.

pastcaring said...

The gypsy caravan is just adorable, Val, so much detail and all in miniature.
Love the tea tin too. I will say Kandy, Sri Lanka. Because it's a tea-producing country, and I have been there, and Kandy is a brilliant name for a city.
It's a shame about your Etsy shop, but I hope you continue to make your jewellery, etc, just for pleasure. xxxx

Vix said...

That's just gorgeous, I want to drink some of Alice's incredible shrinking potion so's I can move in.
I'm guessing Mumbai 'cos that's where I wish I was right now.
Sorry about your shop. xxx

Tami Von Zalez said...

I haven't had any decent outfit posts to link up with either! I'm hoping inspiration will strike so I can join the three you have listed.

My city guess is "London."

Have a great weekend Val ~


Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

More Magical miniatures.

That is too bad about Etsy. It is such a huge market that it is hard to make a mark.

I guess Turin Italy.

bisous
Suzanne

Sherry said...

Your TINs are lovely, especially the Gypsy one. I'm new to your blog and am sad to hear you're closing your Etsy shop.I'm guessing Seattle Washington.

sabine said...

Your tiny little treasure boxes are so marvellous! I drink tea in the afternoon, mostly green tea or indian chai. I choose Venice, because it is also like a treasure box.

Connie said...

I love your little gypsy caravan. I love it so much. I'm doing a gypsy dance around the campfire. I'm sure there's a clue somewhere in your post but I'm just going to guess Fernie, British Columbia, Canada because if I had a gypsy caravan I would leave this wacky country and move to the lovely Fernie where tea party means a cozy party with tea. Which is what it should mean. And besides, isn't Fernie just the greatest name?

Lynn Marsh said...

They are very cute. Very daydream producing. I like them. I will guess Littleport England, because I lived there when stationed at Lakenheath in the 70's and they evoke the feelings from then.

Lynn Marsh said...

I forgot my email address. lynelane84@gmail.com

Melanie said...

Val, I would love your tin teas even if they were scented with your farts. They are beautiful.
I have chosen Mitad del Mundo (north of Quito in Ecuador) as my city of choice because Google said it's the city in the middle of the world and that might boost my odds of winning. And I just know how everyone's talking about it...
Your tins are divine, absolutely magical. I'm sad that you're closing your Etsy shop but I hope it will unclutter your brain so you can reopen it again later. You are an artist.

ann wood said...

I agree with Melanie, you are an artist. These tins are magical and the detail is enchanting. Etsy is over rated. It was become so huge and over run with vendors that do not make things by hand. Plus, I can't believe I'm saying this as a fashion blogger, too much clothing and fashion related items.

My city of choice is where I live now, Minneapolis. I would love to win your tin!

blue hue wonderland

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Val, I love your treasure boxes. When you mentioned the tarot cards, it reminded me that I have long wanted Doreen Virtue's Angel Tarot Card deck. I thought they might be interesting to work with.

I have a friend that always carries her own tea bags with her. She is particular about her tea, that girl.

This little contest of yours is clever. The comments are so much fun to read. As the comments roll in, and cities get chosen...strategy comes into play. I love Melanie's logic. I was inclined to choose a city in my province, but with two cities in the PNW already mentioned...the odds are not in my favour...although after reading my post on the Okanagan, you may be rhapsodizing about life in one of it's cities. Okay, I choose Penticton, BC as my city because I had a memorable tea experience there recently.

I've never tried to sell anything on Etsy. I hope your experience was rewarding, even though you are considering liquidating your stock.

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

err... Paris... Texas.

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Love all the minis!
I love tea, but dang does it stain teeth...
Moscow!

Dawn Elliott said...

Aren't you the crafty one? Your work and mine actually have many similarities! I'm really liking your miniatures...so I'm Dawn from Prescott, AZ...may the luckiest damsel win!

Secret Squirrel said...

I feel like I could get right inside the gypsy caravan! It is beautiful.

I will guess Bath, England as there are plenty of tea snobs aka tea lovers!) there :-)

Paula Ruta said...

Val, I am so impressed with your art! I love the little details and what a truly creative idea. Etsy, in the beginning, was just wonderful--plenty of genuine stuff--lots of creativity. Now; not so much. xoxo

The Style Crone said...

You are a true artist and I would love to be included in your drawing. I see that I just made it under the wire. I choose Denver, my home. Love your scientific randomly selected location process.

Mrs. D said...

That has to be one of the cutest things I've seen lately!