Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Things to Do When Your Husband is Away



First of all, it helps if your two favorite girl cousins are visiting. Second, you take a couple of days off work. Throw in some really good weather, your sister and mother, lots of coffee and lashings of wine, and soon the estrogen is flowing like a champagne fountain! The credit card gets worn out, the camera batteries need replacing, and your jaw is tired from smiling and laughing and talking. If your sister has also lent you the E.L. James trilogy, you may soon forget what you needed a man for.

Then he comes home, and when the smoke alarm goes off in the middle of the night, he takes it off the ceiling and cleans the dust out while you and your cousins are running around in circles waving your arms. That's what men are for.

It's been an eventful week, or two. Thanks for all the birthday wishes! Someone indiscreetly asked my age, so I guess I'll admit it - I'm 57. Which would be a perfect retirement age, if only I could still get paid.

Now, let's start with an outfit shot, taken last week before my cousins came, then some pictures of our local touring. I hope you like blue, because there was a lot of it in the sky.

boots and belt - thrifted

I had to give in to tartan when I saw this clean, crisp Michael Kors men's shirt at our new Nordstrom Rack store. It pulls a little bit over my massive bosom, but the scarf helps keep me decent.



The skirt, boots and belt have all been seen before and will be seen again. The Oscar de la Renta scarf is from a second-hand shop.

I'm going to link this up on Friday with Show Me Your Style on Style Sud-Est. A bientot, Ariane!

Now some pictures from my long weekend with my cousins. It's great to be a tour guide! First up, Brownsville, about 30 miles from here.


This little town was the setting for the film "Stand ByMe" back in 1986. It's also home (at least part time) to Sam Elliott, and presumably also his wife, Katharine Ross. I've never seen them, but I have heard of Sam-spottings in the area. 


The town has an active art association, a great little jewelry shop, an amazing antique store, and a wonderful boutique called Isabella's in an old house with a broad porch. 




From Brownsville we went to the village of Shedd and toured the old flour mill. Yes, it was interesting – honest! The mill was in business continuously from 1848 to 2004, first as a flour mill, then an animal feed production facility, and finally as a hydroelectric plant.


We took the obligatory trip to the local wineries. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.


Then we went over to the beach, first spending a couple of hours wandering in the Old Town section of Florence, then to Heceta Head Beach below the lighthouse and keeper's house. Too gorgeous to be captured on a tiny camera!






Things are quieter now – I'm back at work and my cousins are back in Iowa, Mr. Sparkle is home and all is right with the world. 

Except that I'm back at work.

November update - linking up with Share in Style at Mis Papelicos. It's plaid!

Val

24 comments:

sabine said...

Wonderful pictures Val, I cannot get enough of this blue. You all look as if you had a great time.
And you look fabulous in your tartan shirt, I love how you mixed it with the neutral skirt and the belt.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I love blue, especially an Oregon coastal blue sky. We missed Brownsville on our last road trip through your fine state. It looks quaint and quite charming.

It seems tartan is a hit, and you are wearing your tartan shirt fabulously Val! This is my second fall with the blog, and there are sure to be many seen befores if I'm to continue posting outfits. You always tell a different story, so I'm happy to keep coming back, even if {gasp} you've worn an item of clothing before.

Perhaps we shall meet in Cannon Beach one day?!

ann wood said...

Wow Val, you live in a beautiful place with interesting buildings. I love the picture of the white home on the cliff. Now, that's a dream pad!

I was just reading another blog about how plaid is the rage for fall and you are looking great in this black and white top. My husband is traveling tonight. It's nice to be home alone for once. Looks like the ladies had a fun time with you. Where are they from in IA?

blue hue wonderland

Vix said...

Wow! What a gorgeous place Brownsville is, I oved Stand By Me. The flour mill at Shedd is the prettiest factory I've ever seen and the beach is gorgeous.
Lovely outfit and great shots of the girls having fun. x

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

When you take a day trip with people you love, it's always wonderful. Loved the pictures and love that shirt!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Aw, I'll be working when I'm 57, probably even 67, unless my luck turns.

I like the Michael Kors shirt ~

Mr. VZ has been out of town for three weeks now and there is another week to go. I really haven't done much of anything but blog and, of course, take goofy fashion pics ... while he has been gone.

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

What stunning blue open skies. Lovely photos. I want to come and visit! : )

Congrats...I thought you were the same age as me...47.

I have a love hate relationship every time my husband goes away for work. Secretly the first week I love it. Then by the second week I'm starting to miss him and by the third I simply hate it.

I love the black and white plaid. I bet it'll go with everything.

bisous
Suzanne

Paula Ruta said...

Val, you always make me smile :~).

Carol at Taking My Thyme said...

First of all, Happy Birthday. Yes, 57 is a good age (I am 5 months older than you, so I know), and a good age to retire. I'm trying to figure out how to do it, myself. I'm a nurse, and the 12-hour days are killers.

Second of all, you are TRES CHIC in your plaid shirt. I know that, because I recently had lunch with my daughter in Yaletown (THE trendy area in Vancouver where I live) and we laughed to each other that we hadn't received the memo: we were the ONLY ones in the restaurant (male OR female) who weren't wearing plaid.

Thanks for always entertaining and informing. Your blog is lovely.

Carol

Melanie said...

Oh yes, one would logically see a flour mill and say, gee, hon, wouldn't that make the best hydroelectric plant?!
Love that new MK shirt and that splash of red (Oscar of course).
What a fun week! So glad you got the time together. The house on the cliff reminds me of some West Coast variation of a Turner painting scene.
BRILLIANT post indeed. hee

Kezzie said...

Ooh happy birthday!!! What glorious photos of your expeditions! Glad you had a lovely time. The shirt is really nice too. Is it cotton? X

Shybiker said...

Fun post. Happy Birthday. By coincidence, I turn 56 next week.

Lynn Marsh said...

Happy Birthday. I too think 57 would be a great retirement age. I will be turning 57 myself in Dec. In my case I think being married to a person who's already retired (he's 63) makes it even harder to go to work every day.

Fashion Omi said...

cool look and wonderful piczures :-)
grretings
Fashion Omi on Blog

Mrs. D said...

Those are some lovely places. You made the most out of your husbandless time :)

Wendy said...

You are not 57... No way. And if you are, you look amazing!!! Happy belated birthday, Val! It sounds like it was perfect. The outfit is super cool and I love all of the photos you've shared!

Kicking and Screaming 55+ Petite Style said...

Love the title ... oh the thoughts that initially ran through my head.
What fabulous scenery you live in!
Great shirt and fab belt.
Norma VanV

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

Wait, you're 57? What hell are you doing Val??? Bathing in the blood of virgins? You look AWESOME!!

Beata B said...

You look fantastick:) i love your photos . Kisses
Beata

Rosemary the Shopper said...

How lovely the pictures, and what a fun time you must have had. Much as it is lovely to have a man around, there are times when too much female hilarity would get on their nerves.

Much love from England,
Rosemary from
www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

Tamera Wolfe said...

What a gorgeous location!! i love visiting where other bloggers live!! Y'all looked like you had loads of fun!!

I'm with ya on the workin thing...ugh.

Happy Birthday!! Remember growing old ain't for sissies!!

Tamera Wolfe said...

What a gorgeous location!! i love visiting where other bloggers live!! Y'all looked like you had loads of fun!!

I'm with ya on the workin thing...ugh.

Happy Birthday!! Remember growing old ain't for sissies!!

Dawn Elliott said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend...going all those favorite and maybe even touristy places, eating, imbibing, taking in the incredible views, great weather, female reverie...I'm feeling some green comin' on!

Juan Fernández said...

Tu look es impresionante, que bueno fue leerte. Que gusto tenerte en nuestro reto. Un gran abrazo desde http://jualferx.blogspot.com/