Monday, November 18, 2013

How to Kill an Earworm

Do you watch The Big Bang Theory? We didn't until a few months ago, and now we're hooked, damn it. It's on every night at 7:00 AND 7:30, and when it's not on because of stupid football games, we are pissed off. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch an episode or two.

But DO NOT under any circumstances listen to the theme song! Use your mute button or turn the sound down! You think the song is cute and harmless, but it's like heroin! You'll find it funny, then you'll figure out all the words and try to sing along (it's very fast), then you find that it is in your brain every hour of every day - while you're talking to your friends (Our whole universe...), having intimate relations (...a hot dense state...), eating dinner (...expansion started - Wait!). You will always be thinking of that song. Always. If this has happened to you and you finally kicked it - and I've just revived it, I'm so sorry.

But I think I have a cure.

Get another earworm. Try not to get one that will also eat your brain, but maybe go back to an old one that you know you have under control.




For me it was an Italian rock group, Litfiba. I saw one of their videos when I was living in Italy, and I got their tape "Pirata." I hadn't listened to it for a few years but unearthed it a week or two ago. Now I've got Italian earworms (Devi urlarle al mondo cosi il mondo lo sapra). Oh, yeah, much cooler than It all started with a big bang - Hey!

 
men's shirt - Michael Kors; skirt - Christopher & Banks; tights - Hue; boots - Caressa, thrifted; belt - retail


Nothing to do with earworms, but Spy Girl's next prompt for 52 Pick-me-up is Trend Salad - pile on as many trends as you can. Check it out on Wednesday.

So I've got plaid and houndstooth goin' on here, and a snakeskin belt.




More trends, although maybe not current - turquoise jewelry, square-toed shoes and cat-eye glasses.

turquoise bolo from my grandfather

Gray hair is the next big trend!



Gotta go. It's time to watch The Big Bang Theory.

Also linking up with Tres Chic Style Bits!

Val


22 comments:

Sheila said...

The song is by the Canadian group The Barenaked Ladies - they are known for their earworms (see: "If I had a Million Dollars"). The cure is to sing the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song - that kills all earworms dead.

Love the plaid with the turquoise - this is a perfect casual outfit!

Melanie said...

Oh yeah, I'm on board with the grey hair. You look ready to take on the world in that outfit!
I'll never watch Big Bang Theory now. Thanks for the warning. I hardly have time for Toddlers and Tiaras as it is(?!). I'm making my own show called Grannies and Tiaras. Would you watch?

The Style Crone said...

How did I not know about earworms? You have added another word to my vocabulary. It happens to me all the time and at least now I have a label for it.

Very stylish, with your trends and beautiful gray hair. I'm lusting over your boots.

Aya in Couturgatory said...

I suggest my personal favorite earworm, which is the intro song to the show Community- At Least it was Here by The 88.

Of course the nuclear option when faced with unrootable earworms is Third Eye Blind's Semicharmed Life. At least the first 30 seconds.

I like how you've managed to pile on the trends but look respectable and very nice for everyday. Where does one find out about trends, anyway? Is there an official source?

Carina Rosenholm said...

Earworms .... what a great Word .. suffering from it but did not have a English Word for it! Love Bbt!
My grey hair is still in deep camouflage , coverd with hair colour .
Xxx

Sandra said...

I have never watched it! and so many rave about it being so good, I'm always the last to discover things!!! houndstooth and tartan are wonderful, love it and your grey hair is fab, mine is bizarre and patchy pah! I am so impressed you know the words to your earworm, one of mine is a European Eurovision song I have made up the words to! x x x

ann wood said...

Let's hope gray hair is the next trend! Just say a word ear worm and my mind tries to find one. Ya there's a lot of trends floating around out there trying to jump into the brain too. Great tights and boots. A bit of turquoise that was a family members, that's cool!

blue hue wonderland

Tamera Wolfe said...

I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE this outfit!! REally--I would wear this in a heart beat.

Grey hair is BEST trend!!

Love the big bang theory--these are my co-workers--LOLOL

Here's a new earworm for you:
"It's a smal world after all, it's a small world after all,
it's a small world after all,
It's a small small world"

You're welcome ;)

Ariane Lasalle said...

I never watched the bing bang theory - Our fav shows are in french usually, not that we don't watch any anglo tv! I like the BBC and Netflix on my I-Pad
Find it strange Val but i'm not affected with earworms, i don't know why- i like a song, i will sing it for a few days and hop! it disapears!

I love your statement -

Grey hair is the next trend!
GO,go, go girl!

Arianexo

Dawn Elliott said...

Trends??? I think I'd better pay attention better, because I know not what is current! You did a great job with the layering, for sure! I know about the theme song fixes...Mad Men did it for me!

Paula Ruta said...

Hey val; you always make me smile! Love the idea of a trend pile on; hey where does one trend end snd another one begin anyway? Its all a blurrrrrr xoxo

Kelly Jackson said...

Love that show, and love the Barenaked Ladies too! I'm not into trends but I love the natural grey hair look. Xo

sabine said...

Great pattern mix Val, I love the houndstooth tights and the checkered shirt.
I'm a bit disappointed that I can not follow the trend although I'm in the age for it. I only have 3 grey hairs. Fortunately they are of bette quality than the rest. I look forward to get more of them.

fairfakeandfifty said...

Oh help, and there I was at the hairdresser yesterday getting my grey hair changed back to blonde. If only I had read this post yesterday! Seriously though, the grey looks great on you... and I will be heading your way sometime in the near future. Love the skirt, shirt, tights, boots and necklace.

josep-maria badia said...

A beautiful shirt and a nice look. The stockings are beautiful.

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

OMG! I just killed myself laughing when reading these responses.

My head almost exploded after listening to "it's a small world after all" at Disney for 10 minutes straight. It seemed like a lifetime. Thanks so much Tamera!

The theme song for Hockey Night in Canada is brilliant Sheila! that'll turn any ear worm to dust.

You are a bit of a trend hussy here, but it looks remarkably relaxed and not over-the-top at all.

Thanks for making me laugh today : )

bisous
Suzanne

pastcaring said...

I don't mind an ear worm - just go with it, let them run their course! We love Big Bang in this house, adults and kids alike. The kids are especially fond of Sheldon.
Nice tartan and turquoise combination. Trends? Can't comment on those, but I know you look great! xxxx

Anne M Bray said...

Great trend salad!

About those earworms... I've got a co-worker that served them up regularly with her love of 70's stadium rock. Ugh. Someone finally complained and she was asked to turn down the volume. I will not name any titles. You're welcome.

Thanks for linking up with 52 Pick-me-up!

Vix said...

Earworm? Big Bang Theory? I'm so behind the times you've lost me already.
Is turquoise a trend? How very dare it. Loving the outfit, those tights are cool. x

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I've never seen the Big Bang Theory. I tend to sh away from popular things. It's ingrained in my ex indie kid DNA, I can't help it.

Seeker said...

As a no English speaker I'm always learning things as the word "Earworms".
Well I guess once in a while I'm suffering from this.

I just love your shirt, I've been looking for a plaid shirt.
Yes, you mixed a lot of trends and you look amazing.

My Mom had her gray hair and I loved it, but I don't like the in between, having dark hair.
On you is definitely a trend!!!!

Thank you so much for linking up!!!

xoxo

Catherine Staat said...

Oh my goodness - too funny and so right about the show and the song.

I'm all about the gray hair trend. I guess I have been trendy for a few years and didn't even know it. ;)

Cat x