Thursday, January 9, 2014

Travel Companions



I usually walk to work – it's only a mile – and I see certain people regularly walking at that hour. For instance, I meet a group of women going for a five-mile walk every morning, rain or shine. They're probably in their 60s, and they start at the country club. They all look like they're pretty well off, and they dress similarly with well-groomed hair, sunglasses, and expensive sportswear. I call them the Stepford Crones.

I walk past a school just before the bell rings, and I often see certain mothers walking home after taking their kids to school. I usually say hi, and today one of them stopped me and said, "I just wanted to say that you've always got the cutest scarves and accessories when I see you."

How sweet, and how fun! I always think I'm just sort of ordinary, but then someone stops and says something like that and it makes my whole day! The Crones also compliment me from time to time, which is nice since some of them seem kind of bitchy.

Here's what I was wearing this morning when I got complimented, which is convenient because I'd already decided to do a post about the dependable clothes I took traveling – and I was wearing those clothes! Except the scarf, a gift from my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, which I didn't take on this trip.


My recently bepimped black raincoat, which has a hood and big pockets (also seen here). It never wrinkles, and was easy to fold up and put into my backpack while we were trapped in LAX. I also took these fleece leopard gloves, which I could have washed and dried in any hotel room (and I probably should have after picking up salty sandy things on the beach at Charmouth).


Thrifted Sporto boots, previously seen here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here. I love these! They're nothing fancy, but they're comfortable and walkable, and they hold up to rough treatment, like walking on the shingle beach at Charmouth.

They were $5 at the thrift store, so cost per wear is now about 5 cents.


Lee denim trousers. They look a little better than jeans, and with a bit of Spandex in them they hold their shape and don't wrinkle.

These were thrifted, and they're similar to four – yes, four – other pairs of Lee trousers that I bought new in black, charcoal, grey denim, and brown (the brown ones are now shorts after I fell on my knees on the oiled lane at the bowling alley).

I always forget to take pictures of me carrying my handbags, but this is the one I took with me.



It's great for traveling because I can shove all kinds of things into it, and then just sling it across my body and forget about it. The smaller pockets mean I can quickly find passports, boarding passes, lipstick and aspirin.

I also took the pink ruffled shirt as an alternative to long-sleeved tees. It looks pretty close to the Pantone Colors of the Year for 2001 and 2011, which means I'll be linking it up to Spy Girl's 52 Pick-me-up – Pantone Party!

Do you have dependable travel companions? Are they boring but comfortable and you wouldn't live without them?

Also linking up next week with Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style, and Shoe Shine at The Citizen Rosebud.

Val

19 comments:

Renae of Simple Sequins said...

Hi Val! I'm not much of a purse / bag person. But I love this one! It has a great personality just hanging on the door. Have a splendid weekend, if I don't see ya again.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Nice to see you getting back to posting after your break. I agree, a genuine compliment about something as simple as a scarf is so appreciated. I love how yours goes so well with your upcycled jacket! And the gloves are fun! A mile sounds like a good wake-up, shake-up before work! Much better than a long commute in a car.

Melanie said...

I'd say O is my dependable travel companion - comfortable and I wouldn't live without him. Not boring either. laughing.
I'd compliment you too, Val. Not just for the clothes, but also for that wicked little twinkle in your eyes. I'd think, oooh, there's someone I'd like to know! It's so great when people we think are bitchy turn out to be nice after all. I love that you can walk to work.

Suzanne Carillo Style Files said...

I'm with you on the cross body bag for travel. I have 2 that I'll take depending on if I'm wearing brown or black.

How fun to get some compliments! It really can make your day can't it?

It is nice to get in a walk daily on your way to and from work.

bisous
Suzanne

Sandra said...

The Crones are right to complement you, I would too and it is lovely to receive an unexpected compliment - your bag is fab, I love it when they are organised inside too, otherwise I end up with a mass of crap (my inner bag is disgraceful) have a wonderful weekend x x x

pastcaring said...

(Laughing at the state of Sandra's inner bag...)
How good to walk to work, and to sort of get to know people along the way - especially if they pay you compliments! I try to give random compliments to strangers too, it's always so nice to receive them.
Comfortable shoes and a decent big bag are my travelling must-haves! xxxx

Kezzie said...

Hey!! It's nice when strangers compliment you! I love your bright blouse-very flamboyant and fun in the winter gloom! Not really sure what my travel favourites are! X

Anne M Bray said...

Wait, you were stuck at LAX? I live 5 miles from there! Next time... (because there's always a next time with plane delays).

I have my list of favorites that I always pack, especially my nice roomy tunics. Comfortable shoes are a must. One winter trip to NYC I wore some old "snow boots" because we arrived just after a blizzard. Those things crippled me. Never again!

Thanks for linking up with 52 Pick-me-up, Mizz 2001/11!

Hollie "Jet" Black-Ramsey said...

I don't really travel... so um... take me with you next time. Yes? Yes. Deal.

ann wood said...

Hi Val, I'd compliment you too with this scarf and cool gloves. I also like the magenta top with your jeans. Getting out and walking, good for you! I need to start doing this again. You have some good pieces for travel and comfort.

I wear colors jeans, thrifted cotton sweaters and these days, a down coat when getting around in comfort. Like Suzanne I choose a cross body bag.

blue hue wonderland

sabine said...

Isn't it nice to get unexpected compliments? I am not surprised. You aways add so lovely assessories to your wardrobe that makes it unique. The gloves are amazing and the bag is not only useful but also cute.

Paula Ruta said...

Stepford crones.....still laughing at that one! Xoxo

The Style Crone said...

Love the idea of 'Stepford Crones." And you are hardly ordinary. I can see why you get compliments, as your self adornment is to be admired. I know that I do!

Louise said...

So glad to see someone stylish wear Lee jean trousers! They are my most dependable, go-to pants. Jeansy enough to be casual, trousery enough to not be schleppy. And most importantly: not skinny cut, which doesn't work on me.

I don't comment much, I'm really a lurker, but I enjoy your blog very much :-)

Patti said...

How great that you can walk to work - I'd love to do it, but I'd be an hour late every day. It's not surprising you get complimented - you have a terrific, approachable look and a great smile. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I've got a pair of knit pants I always wear traveling - they are comfy and transition well from airport to destination.

Popped by from Visible Monday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You look so good in vibrant colors, Val!! I have a similar rain coat...have a great week ahead!

A Matchy Matchy Midlife said...

Still loving that pimped out coat! It's so reassuring to have travel "favorites" isn't it?. It really makes packing a breeze!

Xo,
Alyssa

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Of course they compliment you! You deserve it ... you have a distinctive and very cool style, Val, and you do know your accessories! Doesn't it feel great to hear comments like that? I don't get them often, but when I do it makes my week. I have a black Isaac Mizrahe for Target rain coat with a burnout "eyelet" embroidery yoke in back and on a deep hem. It's a favorite, but I love it more when a little old lady (older than me, even!) saw it, put her hand on my sleeve, and said " That's the most beautiful raincoat I ever saw, dear. " Awwwh. Also keeps age in perspective!